First Time Ringing in Ears

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew2018, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Andrew2018

Andrew2018 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/26/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. I ended up here today while researching possible causes of tinnitus. I woke up at 6AM this morning with a loud ringing in my left ear. This has never happened to me before. Before I realized what it was I thought it might be a distant alarm going off, and I almost asked my wife if she could hear it, too. But then it became clear to me that the noise was in my ear. I put my head to my pillow and it got louder. I put my hand over my ear and it got louder. I stayed awake for a few minutes thinking things like, "This is REALLY loud" and "Great. Now I get to deal with ringing in my ear" and "Is this my body trying to tell me something/get me out of bed and moving for some reason." I also tried to stay relaxed and calm and I eventually did go back to sleep for a little while. When I woke up again about an hour-and-a-half later the tinnitus was completely gone and hasn't reoccurred.

So I'm here wondering what could have caused that to happen. I have not been subjected to loud noises. I don't listen to loud music. I'm most concerned about this temporary tinnitus being some sort of symptom of another health problem, although in general I'm in good health: 45, physically fit, no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs (prescription or otherwise), relatively low stress levels. Never a health problem in my life. Of course, I'm also concerned that it's going to happen again, because even if it's not a symptom of some sort of serious underlying health condition, it clearly could become a significant problem all on its own even if the only problem is the ringing itself. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live with that ringing all the time.

Anyway, that's my story and why I'm here looking for info. If you have any insights I would very much like to hear them.

Thank you! --Andrew

2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Andrew2018
      It's very scary to experience tinnitus for the first time.
      All I can say is try not to worry as it has gone away. Even those without permanent tinnitus do experience episodes of "Fleeting tinnitus", it's normal.
      Hopefully this was just that for you.
      The unfortunate reality is that you probably won't know why you woke up with that sound, but it does seem like a random, hopefully one-off occurrence.
      People live with ringing like that all day every day, 24/7. Count your lucky stars that is not you.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      You should take immediately high doses of methylprednisolone or dexamethasone.
      It is an emergency.

7. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      @Andrew2018 The first thing you need to do is see your doctor and explain this to him if you are worried about it. No matter the advice you get on here no one knows the proper course of treatment for you except a medical professional. If you could get an appointment to check for hearing loss it would be a good start. Please do not listen to people in here and run seeking "massive doses of prednisone" on the street corner or anything. They themselves can cause serious problems. I would just remain calm and seek to follow a course treatment from a medical professional. If it's gone then good for you!