Flare Up in Tinnitus and Hyperacusis — Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by kmohoruk, Nov 5, 2018.

1. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Hello everyone,

I recently had an issue after being exposed to a horn at a close range, and it caused a flair up with my tinnitus and hyperacusis. My story is here

It's been about a month since being exposed to the horn and my tinnitus is starting to settle again - however it does seem to fluctuate still (however it did that before. It just gets a bit louder now). I am noticing though that my hyperacusis is now about a 4 or 5/10. This is compared to where I was before being exposed to the horn where it was maybe a 2/10.

I am currently with my folks right now and am just trying to give everything a bit more time to settle. I have a white noise machine going at night normally because it helps me sleep, and I'm trying to enrich the house with music and other sounds, and when I'm out and about I haven't been wearing ear plugs unless it's been needed - like when I've been using public transit.

For me, my issue is mostly with sudden sounds (i.e. beeps from electronics, car horns, loud bangs).

If anyone has any advice that has dealt with someone - or themselves, have had their hyperacusis relapse a bit then I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just trying to prevent this from progressing any further.

Thank you very much!

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Did you get tested for hearing loss?

How long have you had hyperacusis in general?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Yup. I got tested the day that I got prednisone. Everything checked out and I had no sign of hearing loss.

In general, I have had H for about 4 years. After the first year, it was pretty mild and would only become apparent with sudden sounds. It's still sort of like that, but I notice in general that my sensitivity is higher.