Fluid Behind Ears — Experiences? Did Your Tinnitus Go Back to Normal After Fluid Draining?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BrownsFan614, Nov 23, 2018.

1. BrownsFan614

BrownsFan614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Xanax or anti-depressants
      I’ve recently had a spike in my tinnitus. Its the third day and it can be pretty bad. I took azithromycin (2 x 500mg) 21 days ago but didn't have a spike then so I doubt those two are related.

As my spike got worse my ears starting hurting as well. Have also been nauseous, hot and cold sweats, fatigue, loss of appetite, and some rare dizziness. I haven't been feeling well at all. Went to the doctor and as soon as she looked in my ears she could see fluid behind them. She said I could have a virus as well. My ears started to hurt a lot more after the visit. So I’m thinking the fluid behind my ears is what is causing my spike. Sometimes I get a spike when I’m sick.

She prescribed me Flonase and pseudoephedrine to open up my Eustachian tubes. I’ve been using the Flonase with no luck. I also bought the sudafed without pseudoephedrine in it and it doesn't help at all. I’m hesitant on taking the pseudoephedrine because its mildly ototoxic and I don't want to make my tinnitus any worse. I’ve read from plenty of users on here about taking pseudoephedrine for ear fluid and they dont have a spike in their tinnitus or it subsided once they quit taking it.

Also I got my tinnitus about 8 years ago from Xanax or anti depressants not sure which one but it was definitely from one of them. So I’m afraid of taking things that are ototoxic.

I’m debating on waiting this out without the pseudoephedrine but I know it can take a long time for ears to drain. I also don't want my tinnitus to get any worse by leaving the fluid in there.

I was seeing if anyone has had this problem before and if their tinnitus went back down to normal after the fluid drained from their ears.

2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I get spikes from Sudafed but it then subsides. Perhaps giving it a try? I'm also taking flonase. I hope the fluid in your ears subsides. :)