Fluid Behind the Ear — Anyone Know Where the Fluid Comes from?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 29, 2020.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm really curious as to where the fluid comes from and also what it is made of. He told me to take some Mucinex for a few days to thin it out and it should drain. I haven't done it yet because I was concerned it might spike my tinnitus. A few times in the past 7 months or so I got "muffled" sound in that ear when I was around loud sounds.

Also, I would like to know what happens inside the ear when someone takes an anti-histamine. With me, it's real weird. It usually lowers the tinnitus on the first day especially after sleeping at night but by the second, third, or fourth night, it can make it very loud. I heard antihistamines can thicken mucus, so I am wondering if that is why and if there is mucus produced in the ear.

Thanks for any help.

2. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I had that problem pre tinnitus for many years. It sounds like you have fluid in the middle ear which cuts down on your hearing. In my case, the sensation was very annoying also. For me it was caused by allergies, and ever since starting allergy shots 20 years ago, I haven’t had this problem. This a way of avoiding antihistamines. An allergist could be a big help here, good luck...