Fluorescent Lights Aggravating Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by WolffRuoff, Feb 8, 2018.

1. WolffRuoff

WolffRuoff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infections
      I've noticed that in my college dorm the fluorescent lights seem to aggravate my tinnitus. Are there any studies or evidence that this is true? I'm trying to convince my college that it's making me miserable but they demand evidence.

2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Wolf interesting that I also have a tinnitus/hyperacusis issue with fluorescent lighting.
      Take care...

Here are a few links. You can search for more info that you can take to your college.

http://brainblogger.com/2012/12/19/do-fluorescent-lights-give-you-headaches-youre-not-alone/

Since 1980, research has repeatedly documented the presence of, and difficulties associated with, a little known disorder known as Irlen syndrome. Irlen syndrome is a perceptual processing disorder affecting 12-14% of the general population and characterized by a variety of physical symptoms exacerbated by bright lighting (bright lights, fluorescent, computer screens, iPhone, white paper, white boards) and visually intensive activities.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-fluorescent-lights-affect-you-1206641

Updated February 03, 2018

Fluorescent light bulbs contain a gas that gets excited and glows when electricity is passed through this. The electricity is not constant. It is controlled by an electric ballast that pulses on and off really fast. To most people, it is so fast that it looks like it is on constantly. However, some people can perceive the flicker even if they can't consciously see it. This can cause:

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WolffRuoff

WolffRuoff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infections
      Thank you, Star! I was also able to find this study that proves there is a link between tinnitus and hypersensitivity to electromagnetic fields. Since Fluorescent lights create a stronger EMF, this would make sense as to why its aggravating tinnitus.

4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      That is an interesting study Wolf.

You may want to talk to an eye doctor because they can make special lens coverings for this type of sensitivity. I use these when I am on the computer. I haven't thought about testing them with the fluoresent lights.

5. Shiwa

Shiwa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artificial sub-infrared light
      @Starthrower

High voltage LED-lights also use Pulse width modulation (PWM), this also flickering them. When LED-backlit computermonitors first became available they used PWM to control the backlight level rather than currentmodulation (Apple ones have always used this to my knowledge): many users of PWM-monitors started to get symptoms such as headaches. As a result, manufacturers slowly replaced them with currentmodulation models, some such as BenQ changed current PWM models to currentmodulation. This was widely talked about on forums concerning computermonitors…and no-one suggested that those affected by the PWM should get a tinfoil hat!

I have measured higher powerfluxdensity from highvoltage LED-lights than from CFL:s, which surprised me…and those whose house that both types were in! As they were in an almost white zone (the lucky sods) my tinnitus disappeared there…except when where they had CFL or LED lighting, there it was happening but slight. Both types of lights emit spikes of RF right down into below 1 MHz, incandescents don‘t do this so i question the claim that these ”green” lights are really more efficient as they’re only measuring brightness not the total light emitted within the humanly visable spectrum—that is, incandescents produce more humanly visible light per watt than do either CFL:s or LED:s which makes them more pleasant.

I’m very sensitive to flicker, and i could see it at 75 Hz with a CRT-computermonitor, and sold an LED-torch (flashlight) as it had PWM of which as i used it normally at the lowest level of 3 lumens i could easily notice it. The flashoholic forums are good places to find which torchs (flashlights) don‘t have PWM.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Wow. Thank you so much for your information Shiwa!!

I am going to read it again tomorrow morning. I always shut down my computer at 7:00pm. I was just checking in before doing so.

7. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Fluorescent lights can give off a hum at 60hz, perhaps that is what is causing the problem. Many people don't notice it but if you are sensitive to sound it could be the problem.

Download an app which allows you to view the audio spectrum.. I have one for iOS called "dB Meter" which has a dB meter and also shows the spectrum. If you see a big spike around 60hz when in a room with fluorescent lights that may be a culprit. not sure what the college could do though besides possibly replacing the old ballasts with newer ones which may be quieter.