For the Habituated Folks

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ash04, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Ash04

Ash04 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know you say that most people will learn to ignore the noise and it will become easier to ignore like other every day sounds, but what if you’ve never been able to ignore those sounds?

I’ve never been able to ignore sounds like the air conditioner, dish washer, washer, airplanes, etc. I can’t even stand it when someone leaves the fan on in the bathroom or leaves the tv on and have to immediately turn them off. I’m always aware of them. The noises work my nerves and I feel like it shoots my blood pressure through the roof.

Neighbors outside talking on back porch. Annoying. Kids bouncing a basketball over and over again all the way at the end of the street. Annoying. People down the street mowing their grass. Annoying. Plane flying over the house. Annoying.

I’ve been like this for so long and don’t have a clue why. I’m aware of the fact that I sound like a seriously unhappy jerk, but I even felt this way when I was a teenager. The only noise that doesn’t get on my nerves is my kids laughing and playing.

How would one tune out noises in their head that they can’t get away from when they can’t even tune those things out? My sanity is about gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      they expect someone like me with an actual psycho mental disability to live with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      You state the only sounds that don’t bother you are your own kids.

Think about that statement real hard & long.

Your answer awaits right there.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ash04

Ash04 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ability to think “real hard and long” disappeared with my silence.

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That’s not really the case, Contrast. We can only do so much, but the goal should always be to help people with support. Obviously, not everyone will benefit, because that’s life, but if some people can take hope from hearing genuine habituation stories then I don’t see the issue?

The ultimate goal should be to raise money towards a treatment, by all of us. The entire forum. If we implement both strategies we can maximise the potential help for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    6. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      Ash—-I still say the answer is right in front of you.

The strategies you employ, the joy you hear, the excitement, the love are all examples of why your children noise doesn't bother you. Think about all the possibilities that lay beneath the surface. I have employed many of those same strategies to move my life forward in the face of my perceived adversities.

• Like Like x 2