Friendly Car Guide for Tinnitus Sufferers

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amv, Apr 8, 2018.

1. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I use Spectroid App on android to see whats the spectrum and distribution of the noise in a car or in other means of transport. (Requires a phone which has a sensitive mic also below the speech frequencies.) I think its handy tool to evaluate the motor noise, vibration subharmonics and tyre noise. I haven't found a reliable dB-app which has C-weighting. I guess even most mid-level db-meters don't really go below 30hz, so getting the true db-reading is quite hard (or expensive)

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you rent a car, you might want to ensure that it doesn't run on diesel. It is common for rental cars in Europe to run on diesel...

• Like Like x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Hey Bills back!

3518p3q.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Temporary spike, but no lasting effect. I often get temporary spikes from loud noise, only once have I had a permanent worsening, but it can happen...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      • Informative Informative x 3
    6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I have Nissan quesh
      I have brand new Nissan qashqai, low profile tyres, sunroof (can’t open) and I’m not a happy camper.

I don’t know if it’s the car or the horrible Stone Age roads of south Australia!!!! It may be the later.
      Otherwise a great little car. My family loves it but for me I’m not sure anything will be quiet enough!

@PaulBe @Pleasure_Paulie @Karl28

Guys I’m not sure what the roads are like in your states but adelaide roads haven’t imoroved much from the times horses and carts were used!
      Main roads remain me of after bombing effects back home!

7. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      And in Europe (atleast in some parts) it's generally assumed that you know how to drive a car with stick gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. DimitarIV
      Creative

DimitarIV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I ❤ my motorcycle!

9. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all

I have recently passed my driving test and and choosing which car to go for and I thought I had picked my car but then my friend who also has Tinnitus said when picking you should consider tinnitus, I didn't think driving could affect tinnitus?

He said he has a Lexus NX as it's really quiet and he recommended I buy one.

I just wanted to ask should I be considering my tinnitus when choosing my first car?

Also if anyone has a bit of car knowledge, I'd be grateful if someone could help me choose as I'm stuck and my family and friends are not helping.

10. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Forgot to mention that the car I liked was the mini countryman, I don't think it's that loud but then I'm no expert just wanted advice on if the countryman is quiet in other people's opinions too?

Or do you think I should listen to my friend and get a Lexus NX?

11. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Ok I test drove the Mini Countryman, Lexus NX and the Lexus RX and the quietest was the RX. So I'm getting a Lexus RX.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    13. Michael17
      Alienated

Michael17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just adding to this thread for one of the OPs asking about a Subaru. I have a 2018 Outback. Love the car but drives my tinnitus crazy. I can't say for sure if it's the wind noise, tire noise, engine or combination of all. Took me a while to make the correlation, but now I am strongly considering something that is more tinnitus friendly.

14. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma but diagnosed with otosclerosis
      This is a fascinating thread to me. This is something I've thought a lot about. I have a Prius which I absolutely love and the Prius itself is known for being one of the quietest cars you can drive. But it seems to me that so much exterior road and car noise is audible in my car and it's LOUD and makes me miserable. So my quiet Prius does me no good tinnitus wise...

15. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The boxer engine of the Subaru tends to be louder. Combine that with a CVT that tends to make the engine drone on acceleration, and would not recommend it.

I have done well with my 2018 Mazda CX-5. It has a number of features to reduce NVH, including double laminate glass that previously was only found in luxury vehicles just a few years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Replika

Replika Guest

Some recommendations that I have found to be personally comfortable on long road trips:

Lexus LS460 (Mercedes S550 is better, but much costlier to maintain)
      BMW 3 series/X3 with inline 6
      Mercedes E-350
      RAM 1500 V8
      Current gen Hyundai Sonata (with double pane windows)

Avoid: electric cars (piercing high frequency drivetrain noise), performance-oriented cars (more road noise), SUVs where possible (more low rumble)

Look for: Sedans without hatchbacks. The sealed rear reduces road noise. This is the best form factor for quiet and comfort. Think Mercedes S-Class, Rolls Royce, limousines, etc.

Inline 6 cylinder engines are super smooth and quiet, V8s can also be similarly quiet. A more powerful engine can run at lower RPMs on the highway, creating less noise. A great engine is all but inaudible at highway speed (and even then only a gentle purr ).

Don’t bother with sound proofing, it it extremely difficult and it’s not just about decibels (quantity of sound) but creating a balanced and pleasing sound signature (quality of sound). That’s why electric cars can be so annoying while also being quiet (just like the dentist’s office).

Car NVH is science mixed with black magic. A lot of wind noise comes from the shape of the vehicle.