Going on 7 Weeks of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by David Dorci, Mar 18, 2019.

1. David Dorci

David Dorci Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/09/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication, Depression
      My tinnitus started on Saturday Feb 9, 2019, three days after I had my meniscus removed. The general anesthesia for the surgery was Fentanyl and Propafol. The doctor gave me Percocet (5/325mg) (oxycodone/acetaminophen) for pain, took 2 every 6-8 hrs. Gave me 15 pills and I took a total of 14. I was also taking Ecotrin for atrial fibrillation, 325 mg for a few months when I should have been taking 81 mg (my mistake).

I was also trying to wean myself off of 28 years of Prozac use for my O.C.D ...

Other meds I was on

-Atorvastatin for cholesterol 40 mg (causes tinnitus, on it for 5 years)
      -Metoprolol for heart 50 mg (causes tinnitus, on it for 5 years)
      -Propafenone for heart rate 900 mg per day (causes tinnitus, on it for 5 years)
      -Klonopin 0.5 mg when needed. Maybe twice a month.

Also was very depressed within my personal life/high anxiety/job stress.

I saw the ENT at respectable Boston Massachusetts hospital. Told me he thinks it was the perfect storm for me to get tinnitus. Also going off Prozac can also cause tinnitus. He said he thought it would go away, no time table given. Told me to come back in one month. I am going on my 7th week with tinnitus. Very depressed, lost 15 pounds, tired.

Trying to do my best. Some good days some bad. My tones... hissing in left ear that comes and goes like every other day. Right ear low tone, always there, has not gone away.

My hearing test was normal. Now I hyperacusis. Hope the ENT is right. Can't take much more of this crap.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I understand how you feel mine started this year on January 4 and have had no improvement or worsening of my tinnitus. Sometimes I feel very sick were I feel like I might vomit but I think it might be the anxiety I get from constantly thinking about it. I feel lost sometimes and not sure what direction my life my lead but I try to stay as strong as I can and not let it beat me but I know it wont be an easy battle.

3. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Got mine on Feb. 7th or so, 3 weeks after a concussion. Emerg thought it was either Meniere's or ETD. Mine does seem to be improving somewhat. I have bad day, generally followed by a couple of good ones, but it can vary.

4. MikeS
      Mellow

MikeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident
      Same here -- concussion from a car accident years ago. Mine fluctuates from intense to mild. On mild days, it usually settles into my left ear. On intense days, it's from top of my head. Another side effect of my concussion is head-aches. I never complained about head-aches before my concussion, but it's a regular occurrence after.

5. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Met with an audiologist yesterday who specializes in tinnitus. My hearing is in good shape, there is some loss in the 8-10k range. She told me that is normal given my age (66) and said we start losing hearing in that range from the day we are born, very gradually. She also said she doubts it's Menieres from what she saw in the ear exam. She's not sure about ETD. Good news is I have an appt. with a Concussion Doctor tonite, so hopefully he can shed more light on it. So looks mine is either ETD or Post Concussion Syndrome. My T. is very slight for 3 days now. I have nothing to compare it too ,but I'd say it's 1 or 2 on a scale of 10. I have been having dizzy spells for a couple of days now, more feeling of imbalance than anything, and legs feel weak. All signs of concussion or post concussion syndrome.

6. MikeS
      Mellow

MikeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident
      A lot of people assign tinnitus to the ears, but just so happens that I had my hearing checked months before the accident. And my tinnitus started at the scene of the accident. First time I ever experienced it, and it never went away, though it fluctuates. I have good weeks and bad weeks. A couple hearing checks after the accident showed no change in hearing from before the accident. I am sure my tinnitus is from the accident.

Also, during the accident, I felt my brain bounce off the top of my skull along with whiplash. I think tinnitus is more related to the brain than people realize. Usually sleep and weight-lifting help me the most -- don't know why lifting weights helps so much -- especially as I build muscle. Maybe the added muscle reduces stress on my auditory system or spine or something. Or maybe the stretching / foam rolling / warming up that I do prior to working out. Don't know, but seems to help.

• Like Like x 1
    7. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I booked the appt. to rule the ears out as a source for it. One less thing on the list as a possible cause. Got an assessment at a Balance Clinic this morning for the same reason. I'm sure it's either from the concussion, or ETD, there is inflamation on the same side I had the concussion on. However, I'm trying to eliminate as many possible causes as possible, as are my concussion and GP docs.