Going to Jastreboff Clinic Tomorrow for Hyperacusis Tests — Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by slimsanghvi, Mar 4, 2020.

1. slimsanghvi

slimsanghvi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 02/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'm going to the Jastreboff clinic tomorrow. (My symptom profile - no tinnitus, just pretty constant ear pain or fullness since noise event 2.5 weeks ago). I don't know if I am going to do TRT--not sure it makes sense given my symptoms--but I am going to hear them out.

Anyone know what tests they do and any I should say no to?

I'm pissed that an audiologist already had me do an acoustic reflex test -- it ended up feeling ok (loud, but ok), but from what I am reading on here it was probably an unnecessary and pointless risk and who knows what it did to me.

The LDL test sounds so subjective that I am hesitant about it. Don't really understand what the other tests will be... they said it could go 1-2 hours.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi there,

I did already mention that the “acoustic reflex test“ is often dangerous for folks here.
      Frankly, I don’t believe TRT will help your hyperacusis.
      Rest and avoiding noise will help, not constant exposure to more noise.
      Be careful and keep in mind there is no drug for hyperacusis, but there is a lot of knowledge from sufferers who would say quiet and time runs the day.
      There is no quick fix. Be careful of snake oil and people who would blast sounds into your ears when you have hyperacusis.

Save your money... and wait at least 3 months before messing with these people.
      Again... I am not a doctor. I am a person who has tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
    3. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      It's still very early days for you. You need to give your ears rest and a chance to recover on their own. I think your playing with fire, if you go for a treatment so soon. You could further aggrevate your condition if you don't give your ears rest for I'd say at least 6 months.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
    5. Horrorpopz

Horrorpopz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure/meds/who knows?
      @slimsanghvi

Honestly? Biggest tip is cancel the appointment lol.

Jastreboff is completely outdated, TRT has shown to be no more effective than placebo.

In the end of the day you're going to spend money, risk a setback/spike with loud exams, and end up in the same only option regardless of the results of your exams; TRT.

If you don't agree with me or are just going to go anyway, please, just DON'T do an MRI.

Source

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaotolaryngology/article-abstract/2734346/

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    6. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      How did your visit with Jastreboff go?