Got My CT Scan Results: Experiences with Sinus Infections or Blockages?

Discussion in 'Support' started by T Toledo OH, Jun 29, 2020.

1. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      My tinnitus us unilateral, left side only. I have no symptoms of sinus issues other than the occasional sharp pain behind my eyes or forehead which I never thought much about. My tinnitus started 4 months ago and assumption was from noise exposure as that I sing in a metal band and also attend many concerts and never wore ear protection, but there was not a specific even that caused it. I just woke up one day and there it was.

I was sent for MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma, and it showed a blocked right sinus, so a CT scan was then ordered.

I received my CT scan results to confirm a blocked sinus on right side that showed up on MRI. The CT scan showed near complete opacification of the right frontal sinus and sphenoid sinus. I was told initially that I will likely need surgery to open the sinus up on right side, and likely will not have any impact on my tinnitus since it is on right side.

Now, what was also found was peripical lucency surrounding a left upper molar tooth that is "likely" inflamed or infected.

My ENT is a real piece of work, has no empathy, quite simply he is a real cold man. The soonest he can see me to "discuss" my results is in a MONTH! In the meantime I am starting TRT, already sent payment and will receive the devices this week, but curious to find out if any of the above results could have an effect on my tinnitus, possibly curing it or at very least make it not as bad. As I understand it, fluid buildup behind eardrum could be caused from blocked to infected sinus, but that should be found by looking at eardrum during basic examination which I had and nothing out of ordinary was found when looking in my ears. Also, I do not have any feeling of pressure or muffled sound in my ears, I have some mild hearing loss in upper range so the assumption all along was noise induced tinnitus, but all this now has me wondering.

If anyone has any experience with sinus infections or blockages that can share their experience with me I would appreciate it. I will be contacting another ENT this week to get their opinion and see if I can get some answers sooner than a month from now.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus for 5 months now. Left ear. CT scan found blocked right sinus and sinus infection on left side from failed root canal. Endodontist is going to do another root canal to clean up the infection or possibly pull the tooth. Been on Clindamycin for a week now.

Has anybody had a similar situation and had tinnitus reduce or go away after sinus infection is cleared up?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 months with tinnitus. Left ear only. Usually have one day a week it almost goes away and returns worse.

It was discovered on MRI and CT scan that I have blocked right sinus and infected left sinus that is inflamed from old root canal that has failed. Endodontist said it was one of the worst infections she has seen in a while. She was only able to clean out a portion of the infection and I will likely need 2 more clean outs or extract the tooth.

Taking Clindamycin for close to a week and started 6 day cycle of prednisone yesterday for pain and inflammation in tooth.

Anyway, my tinnitus reduced to almost nothing today. Is it possible this failed root canal and infection once treated could soften or end my tinnitus nightmare? I assumed I had tinnitus from acoustic trauma as that I sing for a metal band, but my tinnitus came out of nowhere one day, several days after my last band practice, and the infected tooth has been bothering slightly long before that but never made any connection it could be the cause.

I don’t want to have false hope but wondering if anyone has any input on my scenario or had something similar. I have already started TRT.

• Like Like x 1
    4. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      Hi @T Toledo OH,

You aren’t alone, I’m suffering tinnitus possibly as a result of sinus blockage. Waiting on FESS to see if it helps but to be honest even if it got rid of the chronic pain in my eyebrow/cheek I’d be happy!

Everything sounds positive- the fact you are seeing reductions/fluctuations already Sounds good. I’d be wary of reductions whilst on prednisone as I’ve read on here about people who reduced theirs significantly on it - not sure how it works maybe inflammation?