Gut Health and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by r@vibranthealth, May 4, 2018.

1. r@vibranthealth

r@vibranthealth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi All,

I am a long-term tinnitus sufferer (18 years), my tinnitus varies and over the years I have had periods where I haven't noticed it then times when its unbearable. I recently spent 3 years studying naturopathic nutrition and I am now qualified as a nutritional therapist. I am still as yet to find the answers to the root cause of tinnitus- and I believe it is very individualised and all factors need to be considered. For myself there definitely seems to be a correlation to my ears and also suffering with blocked eustachian tubes and on/off sinusitis. I also have food intolerances and digestive complaints.

In doing my research and trying to heal my gut, an idea struck me where I thought what if my gut issues were also causing my tinnitus? I have researched the gut a fair bit and there is a proven link between gut-brain health, particularly through the vagus nerve.

I just stumbled across this guy on the web and wanted to know what others thoughts are. How many of you also suffer from digestive issues and tinnitus? Would be interested to find out.

Tinnitus and Candida: Is There A Connection?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I've not been on in a long time but I'm responding bc your symptoms are sim to mine. I have mild hearing loss at high freq. range w/ mild T that most ppl have and tolerate. But there's another fluctuating tone that is like what you described I've had since 2014. It's baffling but I know lots of ppl with profound hearing loss and little to no T. IMO intrusive T like ours can be a result of multiple things going on.

Candida is all about proper diet, gut health and patience. Have you taken antibiotics in the past 10 years? Your gut may still be out of balance. Have you been taking any probiotics? If so, I would like to know your opinion on them since you're a nutritionist.

Check your posture. Is it straight, sitting and standing? Do you sit behind a computer a lot with your neck forward (even slightly) and/or look down at a smartphone or read a lot? You may have unknowingly developed a forward neck or some other lumber lordosis. It does not happen over night but causes a lot of problems when it sets in by creating a muscle imbalance in the neck and shoulders. It pulls on the deep muscles in the area and the fine muscles around our ears. Center head position is so important bc the ears are suppose to be in line over our shoulders and not in front. This muscle strain, spasm and or constant tension can cause e. tube issues and as a result periodic somatic (maybe pulsating) tinnitus that can be modulated w/ neck movement. If they don't function (open and close) properly they don't balance air and sound pressure as intended. I have slight H in my left ear that has improved dramatically since 2014 but still can not clear it as easily as my right. It's no coincidence. Chronic sinusitis is a result too and if you're an allergy sufferer it just compounds existing issues. You get medical treatment for other issues, running in circles with no luck but overlooking a simple problem. I've always been somewhat fit and always thought about my posture but started doing a lot of screen time in 2010. I've developed a forward neck even when I thought I was standing and sitting straight. The time line of my lifestyle habits and changes are without a doubt indicative. Now as of July 2018, I'm rehabbing my neck and posture w/ a Chiropractor, exercises and daily periodical cervical collar use. It could easily take 6mo or more to correct. Only time will tell but hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Doodles

Doodles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly a virus
      Hi there,
      I have just joined and I am a Nutritional Therapist too.
      I wonder how you are getting on? Do you still have tinnitus and did you manage to heal your gut and reduce/clear your tinnitus. I would be really interested to hear.

• Like Like x 1