Had Tinnitus Under Control, Until New Low Frequency Started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dannomight, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Dannomight

Dannomight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hello all,

I have always had some sort of tinnitus. When I was young I remember asking my parents what that buzzing sound was at night, when I was trying to sleep. They thought perhaps I was hearing power lines or something. Years later I figured it out.

This year in February, it suddenly got much worse. Hissing all the time, like crickets almost. It devastated me. I felt sick, I missed work, I was having anxiety attacks. Time, support and anti-anxiety medication has helped, and up until a week ago I would have told you I was fine. I had it under control, I didn't really get anxious or upset anymore.

Until a few days ago, when I got a very low frequency hum in just one ear. Like a large appliance running or something. I've also lost frequencies below 300 in that ear. I booked a quick appointment with an ENT, who didn't take a history, listened for all of 2 minutes, looked quickly in each ear and told me not to worry about it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Sudden low frequency tinnitus with low frequency hearing loss? It seems to come and go as well. 2 days of the sound, then a great day where it's gone, then it comes back. Is it temporary? Will it get worse? Sometimes it feels like I'm back at day 1, struggling to adjust all over.

2. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      Dannomight,

I wish I could say that the sound will go away but I don't know if that's true. Because, I'm stuck with it too.
      All I know is we need to try and get through the day and live the rest of our lives as happily as we can. So, try and cheer up. I'm trying to do so too and let's hope things get better for all of us and maybe a cure comes out in the next few years.

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      You have habituated once, so you can do it again. I would think about this and let it give me courage and faith.