Has Anyone Had Tinnitus Go Away After Sinus Treatment or Surgery?

Discussion in 'Support' started by T Toledo OH, Aug 20, 2020.

1. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      I have had tinnitus in left ear for 6 months. My assumption is that is was from cumulative noise exposure from concerts and singing in a band, but there was not single event that caused it. I just woke up with it one day.

My hearing shows some drop in hearing around the 3000 Hz mark in both ears. Slightly worse in the left ear.

My ringing is high pitch. I usually have about 3-4 days a month where it almost completely disappears but then comes back.

I had MRI and CT scan to rule out acoustic neuroma, but what was found on CT scan was the following:
      OPACIFICATION OF RIGHT FRONTAL SINUS. OPACIFICATION OF RIGHT ANTERIOR ETHMOID AIR CELLS. 1-2mm MUCOSAL THICKENING OF LEFT SPHENOID SINUS. lEFT MAXILLARY PERIAOICAL LUCENCY. LEFT MAXILLARY PERIODONTAL DISEASE.

I had a very bad infected root canal that was extracted a few days before this CT scan. When I had the root canal attempted to be treated (prior to extraction) I was given a cycle of Methylprednisone for tooth pain. On the first three days of the prednisone not only did my tooth pain go away, but my tinnitus COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED for THREE DAYS. Then upon taper evening of third night on the prednisone, my tinnitus came back higher pitch and worse then ever, coupled with heavy anxiety from the taper.

My question is this - prednisone is an anti inflammatory. It not only took away tooth pain but also took away tinnitus, is it possible that my sinus issues responded to the prednisone short term, and that maybe getting my sinuses taken care of that it may eliminate or reduce my tinnitus? I have been experiencing pressure and dull aches behind my left eye, forehead, and left side temple, but no congestion or post nasal drip of any kind. I have been using flonase and sinus rinse, and been through around 3 weeks of clindamycin treatment but none of that helped. My ENT is going to see me in three weeks which is soonest I could get in, to discuss possible sinus surgery.

Any insight from fellow members would be appreciated.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      I had functional endoscopic surgery on Thursday. It included cleaning out all my sinuses, correcting deviated septum, and opening turbinates. I did NOT have any Eustachian tube issues so I was not counting on the surgery fixing my left side tinnitus.

I took 5 days of Prednisone prior to surgery and 5 more days after. Only 20mg pills.

In any event night of surgery and the next day I felt pretty good as that my tinnitus was still at my baseline, but 2 days post op tinnitus ramped up to an extreme level that had me in a full blown panic.

I am already diagnosed with general anxiety syndrome and taking Klonopin. Elavil, and Seroquel for sleep. My head is very congested and I cannot blow nose until tomorrow when stents are removed.

I am curious if anyone else had had similar surgery and how it affected tinnitus. I seem to see that others have reported that being sick with congestion ramps up tinnitus, which is what I assume is happening but obviously scared that this is my new baseline and if so not sure I can live with it.

• Hug Hug x 1