Has Anyone Here with Hair-Trigger Reactive Tinnitus Had Dental Procedures Done?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My T spikes for three days after a door is slammed near me. It spikes for the remained of a day after I hear a foot stomp on a carpeted floor. It is very sensitive. I am terrified of my upcoming dental appointment.

I know I asked this before and many people said that they had no problems after a dental appointment. But are there any people here who have T that can be triggered to result in a spike as easily as my T, who had no permanent spikes following a dental procedure? Please share your experiences... Thank you!

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hi Bill, I am lucky enough to have not visited the dentist since being inflicted with T (2.5 years), but I want to ask you a question.

I am in no way demeaning your experience, as I have read of others with extreme sound sensitivity and I know it is a real thing. But being as you're a relative newcomer to T, I want to know about the initial story of your onset and what you have done since then to mitigate the effects of T. I am wondering if the reactivity of your T isn't caused by you isolating yourself from any potential "sound threat". I know that every persons T is different and there are people who developed reactive T NOT as a result of avoiding sound, but quite the opposite. They were careless and exposed themselves to even more sound or ototoxic medications AFTER the initial T onset.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      To make a long story short, a sonic toothbrush came into contact with the opening of my ear canal for a fraction of a second. Then, four months later, I accidentally pressed a loud phone to my bad ear for a second or two, and that (something that a healthy person would not even notice) had erased much of the progress I made up to that time.

I didn't go on a trip to Alaska that I booked before the nightmare had began. I was able to work from home for most of this time. At home, I am able to listen to video and audio files played at medium volume, with no problems. I wouldn't say that my actions caused H. Initially, I had H. I believe I no longer have H. When I am outside of my home, I make sure to wear earplugs or Peltor muffs.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had HBOT treatments done (only 5 sessions). I also take NAC, B12, and Magnesium. At night, play crickets sounds (at relatively low volume) to provide sound enrichment.

• Like Like x 1
    5. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Ok, I would agree. It doesn't sound like anything you are doing is causing/has caused your H. I hope someone here can give you some guidance regarding your upcoming dentist visit.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      How loud is your home? Do you always wear ear protection outside, even if you're going for a walk around your neighborhood?

I'm just wondering if you're regularly exposing your ears to safe volume levels in the 60s and 70s.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I spent months looking for the quietest home I could find. It is pretty quiet. The moderate volume of my video files is probably in the 60-70 dB range...

8. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I too was very afraid of the dentist and had to have a wisdom tooth pulled very early after I got T ON THE SAME SIDE AND IT WAS THE UPPER TOOTH. I thought I was done for. All good nothing happened and since then I have had cavities done and nothing. I can't speak for the hearing sensitivity part though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for sharing your experience! I feel a little better.

Have you ever had spikes as a result of loud noises? If so, what were the noises?