Has Anyone's Tinnitus Gone Away in Different Geographic Locations?

Discussion in 'Support' started by luna, Jul 1, 2016.

1. luna

luna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In Southern California, my ear constantly rings like crazy, but when I head more towards Texas and the south, it completely goes away. It also went away when I was near Portland, Oregon. Has moving or traveling ever affected anyone else this way? Trying to figure out what it is... Maybe allergic to the air here?

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Electromagnetic waves?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I forget the specifics, but Michael J. Fox reported a significant functional improvement in his ability to move (Parkinson's) when he happened to be filming in a high altitude location (I believe it was South America?). Anyway, of interest.

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Altitude changes can be explained with pressure changes in the ear, but that's about it - all other explanations are most likely just voodoo science.

5. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      It's a really good question and I hope more people respond.

I really want to put this to the test because what aggravates my tinnitus the most is changes in the weather. I want to move to a dry non-windy area and measure the impact. With that factor out of the way, dietary and other stimuli can be better tested and measured.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Jmackmo

Jmackmo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Funny, but my family took several trips this summer down south in NC, FL, SC and in all locations my tinnitus was gone! As soon as we come home (DE) its back. I found your thread because I was looking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

7. shadbek

shadbek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Hi, I am a tinnitus sufferer from China. My T is in my head. I also find that my T goes away if I move to the Southern part of the region where I live. I also can't figure out why.

8. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      In the back-country or in wilderness areas, particularly at higher altitudes, I have noticed an effect.

9. Fittube
      Relaxed

Fittube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't Know
      I developed T in 2008, but it was very mild and with CBT it became practically nonexistent. At the time I was living just outside Houston, TX. In 2021, I retired and moved North of San Antonio which is called "Hill Country". It is a beautiful place to live, but my T has become noticeably louder (High Pitch). This area is about 1300 feet above sea level, and is known for Allergy's 12 months a year. About a week ago, I had to make a trip back to Houston for a few days, and I noticed that my T had returned to a much calmer base line as it had in 2008. Does anyone know or had experience with location changes. Houston is not much above sea level and here in Hill Country, Spring Branch Texas to be exact, we are approximately 1300 feet above sea level.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    10. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @Fittube, have you noticed any other changes in your thoughts or feelings since moving? Anything else that has been on your mind? Any reflections on leaving your old home and moving to a new one? Any concerns about your new life?

What is retirement like? What else has changed in your life?

11. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Mine varies with airborne allergens like pollen, dust, mold and lately fire smoke.

George

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1