Has ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy) Ever Been Tried as a Treatment for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by MichaelF6161, Oct 14, 2018.

1. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      This may be an off the wall question, and maybe someone has already looked at this, but has anyone heard of using ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy) as a possible means to treat tinnitus?

I know they had made some gains in treating patients with severe depression, and maybe even a sub-set of schizophrenia, but I can't remember the exact details.

If the brain is now synchronized and looking for auditory input that is not there, could getting ECT scramble those organized neurons so they could possibly reset and stop the tinnitus signal?

I guess if noise-induced hearing loss, then once those neurons are reset, it may start the cycle again, but just thought I'd ask if anyone has ever seen research or anecdotal evidence for this possibility?

Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have read reports of people experiencing onset of tinnitus after ECT, or worsening of an existing tinnitus.

Too bad, because I think ECT could maybe help my depression.

3. Nebras5
      Batty

Nebras5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sertraline , clonazepam , zolpidem
      I'm on my second ECT session for depression and the tinnitus is still same. I will keep you updated.

4. Paul Walter

Paul Walter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Industrial noise
      Good morning. I am scheduled for another session of ECT soon.

I'm in a pickle because it spiked my tinnitus to a severe level last time and it did not come back down.

Has anyone else found this from ECT? I have trouble with all antidepressants too.