Have Had Tinnitus For 6 Years - Please Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by will301, Aug 22, 2014.

1. will301
      Aggressive

will301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hi,i have had tinnitus for 6 yrs ...i feel helpless .............if anyone has tried something which helped them reduce their tinnitus plzz plzz help me!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Will, and welcome!

Sorry you're still having problems with tinnitus after 6 years. For most of us, tinnitus doesn't go away, but it does improve with time.

Please tell us what you're currently doing to cope with your T.

Are you using any sort of background sound during the day, and when you sleep? That can really take the edge off on bad tinnitus days.

Are you taking any prescription drugs, such as anti-anxiety meds, or supplements? Some of us find that following a good diet, limiting caffeine and alcohol, sugar, etc. can help. Also, some supplements that may help are vinpocetine, magnesium, pharma GABA, holy basil, etc.

Also, keeping active, exercising, and staying busy will take your mind off the tinnitus so that you don't focus on it so much. And that is the key --- distracting yourself, and not focusing on it whenever possible.

Do you have any hearing loss, and have you tried a hearing aid or masker? Those can work very well for some people, and you can test them for at least 30 days at no cost.

We wish you well, and hope you'll update on us what you've tried, and what you're using right now.

Best wishes for a calm evening,
      Karen

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Fergie
      Confused

Fergie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2000
      Hi Karen, I read your post. Helpful. I'm new here and suffering badly. Sometimes I feel like my head's about to explode. My ears ring so loudly I often wonder if people next to me can hear it. It's aweful.... That's why I'm here I guess.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Fergie

I'm so sorry you're having such severe tinnitus right now. I notice that you've had it since 2000. Has it gotten worse recently, or has it been bad all this time?

What do you think might have caused your tinnitus at the beginning?

Have you found any coping strategies that work for you?

We're all here to help one another, and there's a lot of great information on this forum. We're glad you've joined us, and please let us know if there is any way we can assist you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Fergie, to start you may want to have a look over on the "support" forum and " "The positivity Thread"

6. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @Fergie, @will301

I have the same question as Karen. Is this a recent spike in your T? I have read on this forum, folks who have had T for a good amount of years, then have setbacks. They then have to habituate again. It takes time, but they do habituate with time and patience.

Hugs.

7. Fergie
      Confused

Fergie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2000
      It spiked about 6 months after I quit smoking and hasn't let up. It was tolerable before, but increased tenfold. It's from noisy environments and firearms. But I've used protection over the last ten yrs. so, it's been really bad for over one year.

• Creative Creative x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fergie,

It could be that when you quit smoking, there was some kind of chemical change in your body that triggered the increased tinnitus. Something similar happened to me, when I took blood pressure medicine. It could be just your ears' reaction to the change from smoking to non-smoking that caused it. I'm no doctor, so I'm only conjecturing, but that's my best guess.

Mine got a whole lot worse four years ago, after taking a blood pressure drug. It has taken some time, but my tinnitus is now a lot better. Yours may calm down, too. Many spikes are temporary, but they just take time to resolve.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @Fergie, I quit smoking two years before my tinnitus onset. When I first quit my stress level increased...maybe the same is true of you--you're stress level is up and that is effecting your tinnitus.

Just a thought....maybe you can try some meditation/relaxation exercises.

(((Fergie))) hugs.

10. Fergie
      Confused

Fergie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2000
      Honestly, when I'm not working, I'm usually relaxing. I think I'm relaxing myself to death really. Being alone all the time and not doing much of anything is making it worse I think. I actually looked into cross fit classes today. Not sure if I'm that motivated but I need to try something to end this rut. Thanks for the hugs.... They always help, except they're too few and far between ;)