Having a Cold — Should I Take Mucinex or Sudafed? Ears Are Plugged, No Huge Increase in Tinnitus Yet

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeas, Feb 21, 2019.

1. jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      Hi all,

I have a question regarding a cold...

My ears are plugged. I haven't noticed a huge increase in tinnitus...yet. I'm on day three. Is it better to take a medication like Mucinex or Sudafed, or should I try to ride this out without any mediation.

I'm not sure what is worse, taking medication or taking the risk and having my plugged ears cause a spike in my tinnitus.

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve tried Sudafed and Flonase for my plugged ears, they help but do give me a spike that eventually subsides.

I say you should ride it out a few days longer. If it doesn’t get better on its own, then try Sudafed.

I’ve drank eucalyptus teas and done steam inhalation and it seems to help a bit.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'm bumping this up because I found out this morning that Sudafed does indeed help with a clogged ear (Hooray!) but it also caused a massive spike in pitch and volume. I'm not panicking yet because I think it will wear off when the Sudafed does, but for anyone wondering if it causes spikes it sure can. I checked my blood pressure and it wasn't any higher than usual. I'm also usually fine with a cup of coffee in the morning, but I guess the stimulant effect of the Sudafed is too much. If the spike does go down in a few hours it will probably have been worth it because having one clogged ear is pretty uncomfortable. I'll report back when the spike goes down. It better!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      Hi @BuzzyBee, I ended up taking the Sudafed. It helped with my ears too. I also think I got a little spike that subsided once it wore off each time I took it. It caused a hissing type spike, but it did wear off. I hope yours does, too!

5. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'm about 6 hours in and the spike has gone down to my usual late afternoon "bad tinnitus day" hiss. However, my ear seems to have drained a bit so I'm thankful for that. At least now I know it was a clogged Eustachian tube and not some other terrible malady occurring in the middle ear. In the past I would just wait it out and it would take a few days, but the Sudafed really sped things up.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      @BuzzyBee I feel the same way. I had a couple colds prior to the one I took Sudafed for and my clogged ear and congestion lasted a lot longer compared to when I took the Sudafed. It drained my sinuses up pretty quickly. I’m glad it helped you!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yeah it helped me but I think my problem was it made me so nervous inside. Kinda like too much caffeine effect?
      But it did wear off within a day or so.

8. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      It definitely has that effect, but for me the feeling is not necessarily nervous but energized and less worried. An hour into it the tinnitus spiked, but I ended up getting a lot of stuff done -- organized a sock drawer, cleaned a closet, moved some heavy boxes with the tinnitus being loud the whole time. The spike went down as the medicine wore off, and since I'd taken the Sudafed early I didn't have any issues with sleeping. T seems back to normal today and ear is not clogged. There's also the slim possibility that the tinnitus would have spiked regardless of the Sudafed, but I am almost positive the medicine spiked it because of the huge rise in volume and the change in tone.

9. Tre92

Tre92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 1, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to antibiotic Gentamiacin
      @BuzzyBee, how much Sudafed did you take? I have a clogged ear and my tinnitus is already spiked because of it. I may try the Sudafed.