Headphones Solution for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mat V, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Mat V

Mat V Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music through ipod
      I know that with tinnitus it's highly recommended not to use headphones. I realized that too the hard way. I got tinnitus from using headphones 24/7 and blasting them full volume for hours.

BUT, what if there were headphones but they were 5x quieter then regular headphones, so it's very quiet and could essentially train your ears to hear very quiet sounds? Just a thought..

2. jvlgato

jvlgato Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3:2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrynthitis
      I've had pretty good luck using Bose Quietcomfort headphones at low volumes. They noise canceling allows me to hear music at low volumes despite street noise.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Brettj34
      Depressed

Brettj34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load Music
      I couldn't live without my headphones, i have had T for nearly a year now and I listen to music everyday at work through headphones at low volumes. I would go insane if i wasn't able to use them as my office is super quiet. I got my T from load noise exposure but haven't had any adverse effects from doing this.

4. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      I think the consensus is that earphones should be avoided but headphones at moderate/low volume are ok. Earphones can easily send very high dB because of the enclosed space the sound travels in at the ear. Measuring how much dB you're exposed to with headphones/earphones isn't easy because you have to take into account the closed space between the ear and device so putting up a dB measuring device to the device won't give you an accurate measurement. You can use earphones it's just that you have to make sure that you're not being exposed to high decibels.

Noise cancelling is good since it allows you to hear music at lower dB although T may be more noticeable without the white noise.