Hearing Breath and Voice in One Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mike K, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Mike K
      Tolerant

Mike K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      For the last week I've been able to hear my breathing in my right ear. One week ago I went to bed with my right ear feeling full and pressured, and it almost felt like fluid was pouring into it. I woke up unable to open the eustachian tube. Even the valsalva maneuver wouldn't open it for an hour or so. Ever since then I can hear my breathing about 80% of the time, and my voice resonates a bit in the same ear.

I'm not convinced this is patulous eustachian tube; perhaps there is a blockage? It hasn't really gotten any better in the last week. I have no pain or hyperacusis. I should note that if I do perform the valsalva maneuver (which is very rarely, and very gently) I can hear fluid moving in my ear. It's like my eustachian tube cannot open all of the way. If I take quick breaths it sounds as if I just got out of a pool and my ear is filled with water. But I can't shake it out of my head obviously.

I would like to hear from anyone who has experienced this, or has any insight into the situation. I am currently using flonase which is helping my sinus problems, but I haven't noticed it improving my right ear (no tinnitus in that ear btw, the tinnitus is usually in my left, lingering for so long from these sinus problems).

I should also note that my right jaw clicks almost every time I open it. Could this be playing a part?

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      See a doctor for potential middle ear effusion. Otherwise autophony (what you are experiencing) is a symptom of patulous eustachian tube as you mentionned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mike K
      Tolerant

Mike K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      I plan on going back to the doctor in the next few days if there is no progress. My left ear has been going in and out of ringing for the past week and a half, so I'm hoping it will go away but I'm worried that the sinus infection might not be the cause and it's ideopathic.