Hearing Heartbeat in Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by bichonlover, Jan 12, 2018.

1. bichonlover

bichonlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Been hearing heartbeat in ear for a month. Upon exam, doctor heard carotid artery noise. Ultrasound negative. I'm on no meds, no ailments, just high cholesterol readings.

Worried excessively about this condition thinking it's life-threatening. Usually hear noise only in evening for a short time, then it subsides.

Anyone else experience this on a daily basis?

2. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    3. PamelaNY

PamelaNY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have it periodically, usually when I lie down. Sometimes, the causes can be pretty benign. My doc thought it was due to the fluid in my ear. I started taking some decongestants, and it hasn't come back. Did your physician have an opinion about the cause?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bichonlover

bichonlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's good to know there are other people out there with the same issue. The nurse called to tell me my ultrasound was within normal range. When I asked about the cause of the ear noise she said it wasn't addressed in the file, so she didn't know. The doctor ordered a lipid panel to check cholesterol levels and ordered Crestor but nothing else. I wasn't even able to discuss with the M.D. Any ideas whether I should schedule an appointment with an ENT or vascular surgeon or just assume all is well since the doc wasn't alarmed? I also usually hear a slight heartbeat sound in my ear after I wake up in the morning while still in bed; as soon as I'm up and about it disappears. Often won't hear noise until evening when I'm relaxing. Is this characteristic? I can handle the noise if I am assured it's not a more serious medical condition.

5. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I’ve had this previously before as well but only when I used to lie down. Just like you, when I got up, it was gone!

To this day I don’t know what caused mine to go away but I did by itself self and so with that in mind it cook for you also!

6. marmarak

marmarak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I just starting having this problem too a few weeks ago. It is very annoying and I can't enjoy the quietness anymore :(
      Already saw the doctor and they ruled out any ear, vein, heart issues. My blood pressure was also a bit high but I think it's because of my anxiety with this issue because at home my reading was fine. I am wanting to try acupuncture to see if that will help. Has any of you had any luck with any treatments?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bichonlover

bichonlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did you have an MRI or additional tests to rule out vascular or hearing issues?

8. marmarak

marmarak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just went to my acupuncturist for this and it is already better. Have 2 more treatments left. I'm amazed and so thankful.

9. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can hear PT on my right if I strain my neck in certain positions. Otherwise I don't hear it. The only other times I hear it is when I'm about to fall asleep or when I'm waking up. In both cases, I either hear humming or pulsing, and as soon as I become conscious, it will stop. But if I sleep on my non PT side, the PT happens much less. Unfortunately, side sleeping for me is extremely uncomfortable.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bichonlover

bichonlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How did your doctor confirm the diagnosis of pulsatile tinnitus? My M.D. only ordered a carotid ultrasound. No further tests since it came back normal. Sometimes I can go almost the entire day without the noise; other times I can hear it when I'm moving around for short periods. Don't know if I should seek a second opinion. Is anyone in the same situation?

11. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hear the same as described by others PT. My family doctor is clueless. He thinks it's possibly because human's hearing sensitivity increases during sleep, but I'm pretty sure he's just shooting in the dark with no real experience on this. I have yet to see an ENT soon, but I'm afraid most ENTs know less than we do regarding this symptom. Did yours still go away when you wake up?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bichonlover

bichonlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Usually notice it when I just wake up or go to sleep for a short time. My concern is sometimes I can notice it even if I'm exerting myself i.e. doing laundry, etc. I can manage pulsing if I can be assured that's all it is--nothing vascular. Primary doctor just had nurse call saying carotid normal. Thanks for posting.