Hearing Loss in Right Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ivan, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Ivan
      Amused

Ivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18th, 2013
      Since yesterday evening, something weird has started to happen. I feel like I've had some hearing loss in my right ear, but there is nothing that could've caused it because I protect my ears when I'm in loud environments. Is this something that everyone with tinnitus occasionally experience, or should I be worried?

2. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I wouldn't want to scare you but hearing loss is not something to be ignored. If you are absolutely positive that your hearing has worsened suddenly, I think you should contact a doctor ASAP. It in fact qualifies for a hospital emergency.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/sudden.aspx

Sudden hearing loss is a relatively uncommon condition with no known cause but it is often related to tinnitus and it needs to be treated with steroids (prednisone if I am not mistaken) quickly to stop and revert the damage.

Please keep calm Ivan, do you really think your hearing has worsened? Honestly I think it's best to go to hospital if you can... just to be safe & find out what is going on.

EDIT: I feel bad now because what I wrote sounds really scary... Please remember this is an internet forum and I am not a doctor. Only a real ENT doctor can give you a proper diagnosis so please do not panic. I just think it will be best for you to have your hearing checked out if you are concerned about it. Good luck mate and I am sorry again.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ivan
      Amused

Ivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18th, 2013
      I think that this isn't my case, because I am not even absolutely sure if it's just a clogged ear or a hearing loss. I can hear loud sounds on each ear equally, but when I hear quiet sound, I can hear it better on my left ear. When I've been on hearing testing, a little bit over a month ago, they said that only one frequency in my left ear has been damaged and that I have tinnitus only in my left ear, but I can hear it on both ears. Now, if it's true that I only have real tinnitus on my left ear, then there couldn't be a reason for me to have SSHL.

I've seen you edit your post twice, that's probably because I didn't respond in like twenty minutes, but I've been struggling with writing my reply because it is kind of hard to explain what I'm experiencing. Please don't feel bad about writing this, I am happy you told me what could be my case. Thank you for that.

4. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Yes I do edit my posts many times because I am one of those ADHD-types, writing things quickly and then fixing typos and grammar errors... :notworthy:

It inteed could also be a clogged ear. I had a bad infection in december last year and my hearing in one ear also became temporarily worse.

I am a bit paranoid about SSHL because my doctor's assistant told me how serious this condition is. SSHL happened to her few times (!) and she had prednisone administered intravenously to treat it. This condition is to be taken seriously because according to her, the hearing loss becomes permanent if left untreated for too long.

The cause of SSHL is not well explained but I guess we are more prone to this since we already have problems with our ears. As I have said, if you think your hearing has worsened for no reason, it would be best to visit a doctor to play it safe.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ivan
      Amused

Ivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18th, 2013
      I think I'll play it safe and visit a doctor because I don't want a permanent hearing loss, I think tinnitus is enough. Thanks.

6. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Ivan,

If you have an iPhone or iPad, I suggest you also try the UHear app. You can always post the result here.
      It's not the same as an audiological test at your ENT, but it does give indications.