Heart Disease and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh look, I'm back after claiming to leave. Well, sort of. I come here because its sort of my intellectual dumping ground, where I can post scientifically minded ideas for discussion.

Today I want to bring up my worst fear: heart disease. Heart disease can take many forms, whether it be clogged arteries from plaque build up (atherosclerosis), bacterial infection that damaged heart valved and linings (endocarditis), and god know what else I haven't mentioned.

My biggest fear is getting heart disease since most of my life has been characterized by a poor diet and lack of exercise (especially after age 17). My cholesterol is normal, though the "good" HDL is a bit low compared to the "bad" LDL. Those fears have been put aside. However, the concern has relapsed again due to my history of poor oral health and gum recession. I haven't yet achieved gum disease, but I am at risk for heart disease should it get there.

I have no intention of dying of a heart attack. I'll blow my brains out before that happens. I guess my question for those bothering to read is this: If you have heart disease, does tinnitus impact your management of it?

From what I've read, chronic stress, anxiety, anger, and depression (all I suffer from) contribute to inflammation in the body. Over time this, combined with possible gum disease, can lead to heart disease and the fatal myocardial infraction I fear so greatly.

High levels of neuroticism are predictive factors of who could develop CVD, and tinnitus certainly fuel my anger and depression. To make matters worse, SSRIs in treating depression are life saving drugs for those who have had a heart attack, which disturbs me greatly. I detest most antidepressants and do not want to have to take them. I'd rather take the risk of throwing them away and dying within the next 5-6 years than take them, but that's me. Others obviously feel differently.

For those frightened by this information, I can assure you that if you're not neurotic like me and actually take better care of yourself, then your risk is lower. They say to prevent heart disease you're supposed to relax, but how on Earth does anybody relax with this constant buzzing? I'm semi-habituated and even I can't fully relax. I'm also unwilling to quit smoking, eat a "heart healthy" diet, and exercise regularly. I don't see how meditation does anything, and I can't use benzos forever so I have to face my stress eventually.

The most fatal thing for me would getting diagnosed with heart disease (rather than a heart attack). I'm trying to exercise more but its hard to break old habits of comfort. So, what ways that aren't yoga or meditation (I think those things are stupid for tinnitus) can help?