Heartbeat

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kitsunepaws, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Kitsunepaws

Kitsunepaws Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury
      It's so strange.

I've had tinnitus for 6 months, but just two days ago I've been able to hear my heartbeat loud, thumping in my ears. It's louder in my left. I only confirmed it was my heartbeat by pressing my finger to my neck while listening. I can only hear it when I lay on my ears, or if something is covering my ear.

It's weird and a bit annoying, I only ever sleep on my back now.

Does anyone know why this would come on so suddenly.

Thanks

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Kitsunepaws,

There are many possible causes for pulsatile tinnitus, so it's hard to say why yours came on suddenly. Mine came on suddenly, too, not long after taking a blood pressure drug for the first time.

Do you know of any health-related changes that have taken place recently? Are you under a lot of stress? Are you pregnant, or have you experienced any hormonal changes? Do you have high blood pressure? True pulsatile tinnitus is usually vascular in nature (but not always), so try thinking through any recent stresses or other events that have taken place in your life.

Right now, try not to worry, and see if the condition subsides. If it doesn't, and becomes bothersome, you might consider going to see a doctor. Before you do, go to the Whooshers.com website, and look for the information to print out to take to your doctor. That way, you will go armed with the latest information about possible causes and questions to ask about your particular condition.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please just observe your condition for a little while to see if it changes, becomes calmer, or becomes more severe. Then you can decide if it is time to visit a doctor for testing. An ENT might be a good place to start. If your ENT is not helpful (they often don't know a lot about pulsatile tinnitus), you could consider going to a neurologist.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1