Heavy Sigh...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hairsonfire, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Hairsonfire

Hairsonfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      After reading many of the posts here I feel very fortunate to have been T free for so long. I am 53 now and my ringing started two years ago and although mild compared to most, it's still a grim permanent reminder of my frailty as a human. I worked for four years as grounds maintenance crew at the Boulder Country Club - hours and hours of pushing a lawn mower or a weed eater or operating any number of noisy equipment. I also played drums in a band for years and let's see, oh yes, spent several years on three different aircraft carriers while I was in the Navy - nothing like hearing an F-14 taking off, over and over and over. I realize now that I am fortunate that I can hear as well as I do - I am what is considered an Audiophile as I have been very interested in high end audio equipment for many years and have quite an expensive and sophisticated music system and a separate home theater system. I can still enjoy both, and I am very thankful. Interestingly, I have periods with no T symptoms lasting as long as several hours or even several days. Also, without fail, if I have several drinks, the T will disappear. Yay - it's still depressing though. It is reassuring to know so many others suffer too. It certainly does suck (pardon the vulgarity).

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Hopefully we will have a cure for T within the the next decade. Stem cell research is the key and we need more scientists and proper funding.

3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Check out the autifony thread, it may bennefit us way before stem cells are even in pre clinical trials for T.

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Another audiophile here! My T might have been caused by too loud headphone listening.

5. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Not gonna happen in our life time mate. And even if it was to happen, you'd need a million pounds set aside for payment.

6. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Hmm... Tell that to people who are participating in the trials.

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I respectfully disagree. Tinnitus is a symptom that will be cured in our life time, because more are working on it and getting farther and farther in understanding it and not to mention if they dont, the disability rates will go up each year ( in the us anyways). There will eventually be a hearing epidemic. And i have high hopes for autifony, because the logic of it makes sense now all we gotta do is wait and see what happens. Either way no ones ever giving up on it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Ive been into HomeTheater for a long time but I dont consider myself an audiophile. T has dampened this hobby.
      Do you know of others w T before coming on here? It seems like a lot of military have T esp with combat experience.
      Ironically I was just pointing out to my wife about landscapers riding mowers wo ear protection.

9. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      ENT can't even tell 90% of people why they have it for certain. People have been looking for a cure for 30 years and haven't found anything close to one yet.

10. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Trials are free.

11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013