Hello — My Backstory — Can Tinnitus Still Improve 3 Weeks After Onset?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lake, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Lake

Lake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Everyone,

I am new to tinnitus and looking for advice.

Here is my back story:

1) I had dental work around six weeks ago-two crowns and a root canal.
      2) I was in pain and extremely stressed—grinding my teeth has always been a problem but was probably made worse at this point. During this time I took Advil for the inflammation, but never more than recommended. I went to my dentist and he thinks I have TMJ, which is quite possible with all the grinding.
      3) I was at work about 2 weeks after the root canal and noticed my ears were ringing. I went to the walk-in clinic and they said it might be allergies (nope—I knew that).
      4) I went to my GP on Wednesday, two days after the ringing started, and she put me on a steroid pack. That made the tooth pain go away, but the ringing was still there.
      5) I have done the same things as everyone else—ENT, audiologist, etc.—you know how that goes.
      6) My ringing is mostly in my right ear, sometimes I can hear it in my left ear, and a static tone in my middle head. I would say it’s mild, yet annoying, at best.
      7) I have had some slight sensitivity to sounds—definitely more electrical like the laptop or fridge.
      8) My ears are a bit full, but that seems to be getting a little better.

So, my main question is do I have any hope at this point or is 3 weeks too long for a recovery?

Thanks!

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, there is a good chance that a year or two from now you will be feeling much better. If you notice any fading by the three months after the onset mark, chances are that it will continue to fade. If there is no fading during the first three months, that's a bad sign, but there would still be some hope.

Check out the numerous studies listed on the many pages of the thread below:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/

Also check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lake

Lake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks! What should I do in the mean time to cope? I have to work, I have an active social life, but I’m worried about setting myself back.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      This may be an odd suggestion, but do you have a history of loud noise exposure, or was the dental drill extremely loud?

Hearing damage is usually the hidden culprit, but it can be mixed in with other things.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lake

Lake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do not have a history of loud noise exposure. The dental drill did not bother me, so I don’t think it was too loud. I’ve had dental work before without as issue. I’m thinking that the tooth grinding and stress after the dental work is a large contributor.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The human ear is a sitting duck, loud noise can damage the ear without causing any pain.

If someone has a bunch of ear problems, it's by default illogical to assume their hearing is healthy.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lake

Lake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I should avoid weddings and graduations? How am I supposed to go outside without risking exposure?

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      pretty much understand the red pill that we are screwed.

9. Hilde

Hilde Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after root canal heart rate 185 over 125, panic attack and T
      Lake,
      your story is VERY similar to mine (started Nov 2018).
      I - finally - started acupuncture after all the doctors were just a waste of money ... and the first session made a huge improvement, further sessions provided more improvement, ringing is still there but usually on a hardly- noticeable level ... and some days it feels as if it might be gone "tomorrow". Yes, set backs are included ...
      Then, I do some massage stuff around my ear (I can usually feel some "trigger points", they vary from time to time ..) and that helps a lot, too. Sometimes I am even without ringing for a few minutes.
      Then, I got a bite guard and try to relax my jaw muscles actively (I tend to clench ..).
      Anyway,
      hope this helps a tiny bit!