Hello All!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by grogcat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. grogcat
      Balanced

grogcat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had T for two years now. I get a high pitched whine in my right ear and whooshing noise in both ears. Sometimes the whooshing corresponds with my heartbeat but not always. It's ridiculously annoying, but I think the main thing I struggle with is the feeling of being 'spaced out' all the time. It reminds me of when I was little and had a bad head cold... only I have it 24/7 and it's been with me for 2 years now.

I've had ENT appointments but they just keep giving me nasal sprays which don't appear to help at all. Going to see my GP next week to ask him to refer me again. Anyone on here had any success stories regarding getting rid of T or at least reducing it somewhat?

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi grogcat,

Welcome to the site!

Have you tried taking supplements such as B12 and Gingko? Some people have said it helps them.

Your typical ENT is trained to give you the clinical approach (sprays, steroids, etc). Unfortunately, these therapies have not been proven to be 100% cures to tinnitus. The response they are trained to give is "at this time, we do not have anything else so you will need to become habituated to it".

I think the best ways of reducing (managing) tinnitus include:
      1. Reducing anxiety;
      2. Limiting stress;
      3. Getting a good night's rest;
      4. Avoid exposure to loud noise

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grogcat
      Balanced

grogcat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Mike, and thanks!

Yes, this is so far the reaction I've had from ENT. I've been offered support in how to cope with it, which I might look into this time. I've not tried B12 or Ginko. I had a lot of bloods done this year because of (as it turned out) iron deficiency and my B12 was fine.

There are times when T doesn't bother me too much, but because it's constant, it comes and goes in waves as to whether it gets to me. Sometimes I would do anything just to have a break from it for a couple of weeks!!!

I also suffer from generalised anxiety and I think the feeling T gives me in my head can make my anxiety worse when I'm out and about because real world situations can feel so 'unreal' which can be disconcerting.