Hello all!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tom KW, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Not sure how to start off, I have T in my right ear. It sounds kind of like a tea kettle in the other room whistling. I've had it for going on six months now, like most others I went through a depression stage losing weight and all that stuff, my doctor put me on nortriptyline, that helped me get through the first couple of months, after that I weaned myself off. I'm learning to live with it and it hasn't affected my sleep any, i'm taking magnesium, vitamin B complex, and zinc. Not sure if that helps or not, I have good days and bad days. It would seem that nothing I eat or drink has any affect either positive or negative unlike what I've been reading, go figure. I'm sure at some point I will learn to ignore it but I sure would like to see a cure come down the line. For those of you who have had trouble sleeping the only tip I can give is what I do, I put my T in the same mindset as I would the window air-conditioner, if you can sleep with a loud air-conditioner running in the window, then why should the T be any different. This is what I told myself, it seems to work.
      Thanks!
      This site seems to have a lot of information and inspiration.
      It's nice to be able to speak to people who understand. Those without T are sympathetic but they really don't know what you're going through.

• Like Like x 1
    2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Welcome TomKW, everyone deserves a response. Great write up. Sounds like your right on top of things and have experienced those first few months of T, ooohhh. You hit the nail on the head, I agree, those that have T , know what your talking about. I personally don't know how I fall asleep at night. I'm still taking some pills.
      Anyway welcome and what a great picture on your post. Dogs are great in life and I miss my mine alot.

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I miss my dogs too. They don't say dogs are a man's best friend for nothing.

Welcome to the club. Almost nothing affects my tinnitus. Actually, off the top of my head I can't come up with anything that would guarantee a spike. I suppose folks like you and me are lucky in this respect, not having to worry that much about what some food or drink is going to do to our tinnitus.

It's also great tinnitus doesn't affect your sleep.

Have a great weekend and welcome to the forums!

Markku

4. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      Hello Tom, welcome to the forum. It is good to hear your are doing well now after an initial difficult time. My tinnitus also doesn't seem to be influenced by any food or drink. But I guess in a way that's good, then we don't need to worry about that.

I'm one of those people who has trouble sleeping with tinnitus. I wish I could have the same attitude towards sleeping as you. The problem is I have always been that kind of person that doesn't like to sleep with any kind of noise in the background and that would switch the air condition off prior to going to bed :( I guess I need to re-adjust now.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Thanks for the replies,
      Haven't been able to get back here until now.
      Sorry to hear about your dogs James and markku
      We do get so attached to them and they just don't live long enough.
      Somehow my dog knows when I'm having a bad moment with my T,
      She will lovingly get close to me and gently lick my face. And you know what folks, it helps.
      I guess enough for now this is only a introduction thread.
      Hope everyone has a good day.

6. 2014winner
      Inspired

2014winner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otitis media with permanent hearing loss
      Thank you for these posts every day.