Hello Everyone New to Site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Amber2, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Amber2

Amber2 Member

Hi, I have had tinnitus for about 4 months. I am currently trying Neuronomics - this is the 10th day.

2. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Hi Amber, welcome!

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Welcome indeed!

How did you find about Neuromonics, did your doctor/audiologist suggest it?

I'd be interested in knowing how you find Neuromonics since a) it's insanely expensive and b) it's not even available in my country.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had T and how did you get it?

Thanks for joining us :)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amber2

Amber2 Member

Hi Markku - I have had t since last November. It is fairly sever so I decided to do something right away. I went to Duke University Tinnitus Clinic in North Carolina and am working with a great Audiologist who is helping me every step of the way. There were several options and I chose this one. At Duke I am allowed to use this for 60 days and if there is no improvemnt at all or if I want to discontinue I can get a refund plus a restock fee. I figured I would give it a shot.

I got T from a blood pressure medicine - Metropolol Succ ER its just the extended release formula and its after a couple years of use. I am 99% sure as it came up on all the lists even the ATA. I also had a slight sinus congestion (not normal for me) for about a month before - but its probably the meds.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm happy for you! :) It's lovely that you've found a caring professional to help you along the way. I know it matters a lot on the road to habituation.

The 60 days refund period sounds good too, in case Neuromonics doesn't have any kind of positive effect on you. Here's hoping though!

Keep us posted however often you want, you could even open a new discussion in the "treatments" category regarding Neuromonics if you wanted to.

Wishing you a good week,
      Markku

PS. For what it's worth, I don't really know the specifics of Neuromonics but I think it does involve masking + some sort of sessions with an audiologist/psychologist? Anyway, I'm going to look into it in greater detail tomorrow.

6. butterfly

butterfly Member

you are lucky to have found someone who knows tinnitus inside out :) my family doctor didn't understand T and i spent almost a year in the dark before i understood to look elsewhere

7. jack

jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2011
      hi amber 2 has your tinnitus improved jack

8. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Amber2, Thank you for the heads up about Neuromonics. Here in MI. we have "Michigan Ear Institute" they are on the list for Neuromonics treatment. I am going to give them a call and find out more. It's only 45 minute drive from where I live here in Macomb, MI....

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amber2

Amber2 Member

my name is Debbie. I have had tinnitus for six years. In the beginning it was horrific. I went to Duke in NC and did Neuromonics. It worked but took eight months. It’s back after four years but lower. So I am trying it again. I am posting this because it did give me relief. I do chamomile tea at night to help sleep and also wear a shower cap in the morning in the shower. Sounds crazy but it tones it down. I also do .05m of Ativan if I get anxiety. I feel like I am back in the box again. Just wanted to say hi to all of you.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amber2

Amber2 Member

With neuro you have to keep at it do not miss a day. Some days I hated it because it made the t worse but I did it anyway. My t was from blood pressure meds. Neuro was expensive back then but cheaper now. It took me a long time to get back to the land of the living. With the spike I am having listen to it two hours a day and it is lowering. The drug that gave it to me was metetropol also. Confirmed. The good news is that it will go down in volume with time. Amber try it. When the t was bad I just listen to neuro and relax. Better than listening to the t. I was asked by duke and interviewed by them to give a history of my experience. If you go to duke web site it might still be they not sure. I tried everything. Ent not a help. Docs not a help. I was. A mess. I worked in health care and the cio from duke referred me. I was finally not alone. All I can say is that it worked and spikes can still happen but working on getting back to base line.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amber2

Amber2 Member

Ps. I also had the option of returing neuro after the 60 days. Don’t do it. Keep going. What do you have to lose? I almost did but so glad I did not! It’s a process stick with it. I did not do try. Neuro did help it’s just time in. My clinical Audo was Rebecca price at duke.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amber2

Amber2 Member

Maybe you guys can help me. Where do I go on this web site besides introduce me is it the support section.