Hello Fellow Tinnitus People

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kalle_Mustianoja, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Kalle_Mustianoja
      Jaded

Kalle_Mustianoja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal Festival
      I'm Kalle from Finland. Had T since 2001, Heavy Metal Festival, no plugs. For some reason T getting worse over the years. Many sounds ranging from 11 khz - to 17 khz coming and going througout the day.

Easy ones are the light noise one, a little bit like blue noise...

Hard ones are the really high ones, from 15 khz up... an unmaskable piercing physical sensation that puts the nervous system on autopanic :( Especially this summer has been hard. So I thought to exhange some thoughts here, perhaps help little bit I can.

I go to psychotherapy to talk about this and other things and sometimes take relaxants, (opamox) to sleep and relax the nerves.

I like walk in the Finnish woods, doing chores on my parents farm and clean my studio apartment over and over again. Relaxes the nerves. I am a trained screenwriter and graphic artists but havent sold anything yet. But work here and there anyway. Being creative is hard with Tinnitus sometimes. Rather not think at all.

Don't know how much of an intro this is but was nice to write it :)

Anyway... thats me.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts and Acoustic shock.
      Hello Kalle, welcome to Tinnitus Talk!

Going to psychotherapy is a good thing to do, you need to get as much help as you can, and anything that can relax the nerves is good. A big part of lowering the volume of tinnitus depends on calming the central nervous system.

I know what you mean about it being hard to concentrate, I'm a published fiction writer but haven't been able to write anything new this year. Tinnitus can become an obsession and take your life over when it's chronic, and unfortunately that's happening to me. Constantly monitoring the changing volume or looking on the internet for cures can become an obsession that tinnitus feeds on.

Anyway, good to meet you and all the best to you my friend.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kalle_Mustianoja
      Jaded

Kalle_Mustianoja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal Festival
      Thanks you for the reply Ford :) I am too obsessed with T...

So strange that these sounds occupy our lives so... if only i could train my mind to look elsewhere and ignore them... but it is increasingly hard to do so, even with all these years of dealing with it.

I'm sure theres something poetic about our suffering, but I'll be damn I can't find it :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hello Kalle and welcome here.
      How old are you by the way?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kalle_Mustianoja
      Jaded

Kalle_Mustianoja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal Festival
      I'm 31, just turned this month. 16 years young when T struck...

6. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Ok.. 16 that's young.. and I guess it was difficult at school.
      Can you hear these sounds in busy environments? Could you when you were 16?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kalle_Mustianoja
      Jaded

Kalle_Mustianoja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal Festival
      These days i can hear my t pretty much everywhere, the high ones cant be masked. Back in the day my T was very low... i could only hear it in quiet rooms. I noticed it getting louder in college about 10 years back, some insomnia problem then. Hasnt been a massive problem for me in the past, only since 2014 has it become a noticable nuisanse and 2016 has been the worst... how bout u? A quick story?

8. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I had it 10 years ago after a concert. I was 19. It is a hissing noise that has always been relatively mild (but despite this, it often disturbed my sleep and my well being) and I have the feeling it is slightly increasing with time. I am really scared that it gets worse and that it will some day reach a level where it annoys me all day long.. This fear really brings me down.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Wow
      I'm a graphic Artist, only 6 months with tinnitus,
      but sometimes i feel like my creative mind is very busy thinking about tinnitus
      which makes it hard for me to deliver good art.

i thought i was the only one.

welcome to the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      An interesting thread with so many writers/artists.

I also make my living writing and have done so for a long, long time. Fortunately, I work in journalism. So part of my day, I am working around other people and there is a fair amount of noise -- loud enough to be distracting but not unbearable. I am on the phone a lot, however, which sometimes really kicks up my tinnitus and makes me very tired.

There are times, when I need to hunker down and write something long or complicated, that I find it very hard to concentrate, yet alone be creative. I usually put on head phones with masking noise then, and it helps. At the suggestion of a doctor who had T himself, I listen to very light classical music or solo guitar/piano.

When I first came down with T three years ago, I didn't see how I could function at work and seriously looked into taking disability. So glad my doctor talked me out of it. My work has been my salvation.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Yes! thats awesome.
      :rockingbanana:

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kalle_Mustianoja
      Jaded

Kalle_Mustianoja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal Festival
      Great to see so many responses :)

Concentration is in short supply sometimes... pleasantly this morning has been calm...

I've been doing a lot of mindfullness mental exercises this summer to relax... when I go for a walk, in the rhytm of my steps, I say ( in my mind)

"Even with unpleasant tinnitus, I am able to relax and live a balanced life."

Doing that for 10 min a couple of times a day does have a calming effect...

The mind is a strange thing...