Hello, My Name is Chantal

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chantal, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Hello! I am new to the forum. As far as I remember, I've had tinnitus for 14 months or so. At first, it was not constant, but now, it is an every day. All the time. No silence.
      Fir a while, I thought I could handle this on my own, but yesterday, I realized that I need help, so I made an appointment to see an ENT. I am seeing him Friday of next week.
      I am curious and hopeful... but also nervous, because since I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict (30 year sober) I cannot take antidepressants or sleeping pills, or anything that affects the central nervous system.
      I am glad to have found this support group.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Chantal, and welcome!

I'm glad you have an appointment with an ENT next week. Maybe he can help you, and give you some suggestions as to possible causes and treatments.

Do you know if you have any hearing loss? If the ENT isn't able to help, you might try going to an audiologist. Sometimes audiologists have a better understanding of those of us with tinnitus, and can offer some assistance. There are hearing aids and masking devices that might offer some relief.

In the meantime, you can try background sounds in your home or work area, or to help you sleep. I have a sound machine with nature sounds, and other people have had success with various apps.

We're glad you've joined us, and are here to support you on your tinnitus journey!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Thank you, Karen.
      Do you know what helps me to sleep? The purring of my cat. She is a very affectionate cat and such a gift in our life. Every night, she comes close to my head and as soon as I start petting her, I go to sleep. I do wake up at times, awaken by the hissing in my head, but luckily for me, I go back almost right away.
      I did not realize that an audiologist might have a better understanding of what is going on. If the ENT does not help, I will try it. Thank you for the suggestion!

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're welcome, Chantal!

It's nice that the purring of your cat helps you sleep. You're lucky you've found a way to get to sleep; that's a positive step in the right direction. When my tinnitus first started, I had great difficulty with sleep.

Can you describe the sound of your tinnitus? Mine is a high-pitched, hissing sound, and I also have pulsatile tinnitus (heartbeat sound). Both types of tinnitus have improved a lot for me, over the last couple years. It's very possible to habituate to your tinnitus; many people have done it. So, if you're unable to find a cause or a solution, don't give up. Things will get better in time.

Do you have any idea what might have caused your tinnitus to begin?

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Karen,
      Most of the time, I hear a low hissing sound. Like ciccadas, but low. At times, it gets louder.
      A few times, I also had a pulsating sound that accompanied the hissing.
      What I find the most difficult is to focus on something that requires concentration (like playing Scrabble, for instance). That's when the tinnitus gets in the way. So much that I have to quit trying and just go for a walk.
      Walking is a very good release for me. I live near the ocean and the sound of the waves (although it does not cover the hissing) is very peaceful and makes me feel better.

As far as what triggered it, I think it was related to going back to live in the city (Montreal), where there was a lot of honking and traffic sounds. Montreal lives 24/24 and is always noisy. Here in Myrtle Beach, it is relatively quiet. We went back to Montreal for a year, and I think it is where it started.

Thank you for the encourageing words, Karen.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Chantal,

That makes sense, that it might have started due to loud noise in the city. Do you think you might have any degree of hearing loss? When you have tinnitus, there is usually some very high-level hearing loss, the kind that you wouldn't even be aware of. That's why I thought you might benefit from having an audiologist test your hearing.

I also find that walking helps a lot. In the beginning of my tinnitus, it was so bad that I couldn't concentrate on anything for very long. I love to read, and I had to give that up for awhile because I just couldn't handle it. Now, however, it is 3 1/2 years later, and I'm back to sleeping again, reading books again, etc.

Walking really helps me, too. It was one of the things that really saved me when my tinnitus was horrible. I'm glad it works for you, and I'm sure that being near the ocean really helps too; it can really mask the tinnitus!

Right now, anything you can do to distract yourself will really help. In time, you'll notice the tinnitus less, and your brain will be more able to tune it out.

I wish you a calm and quiet evening!
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Thank you so much, Karen! Talking with you has been a big help. I wish you a nice evening too.