Hello, Seems Like a Good Forum :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Eric Anderson, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Roughly 1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      Just saying hello after creating account.

I've had some level of tinnitus for most of my life, probably starting around 12 - 14, probably from playing with a cap gun or getting hit in the head on the playground. Additionally, I was in concert band and marching band in high (secondary) school where I was exposed to pretty loud music - loud music in general.

The interesting thing to me is that I "habituated" before I ever realized what tinnitus was. My tinnitus hasn't really gotten better or worse since in the last 16 years, the only thing that has changed is my reaction to it. When I was younger, maybe more carefree, the tinnitus did not bother me at all. I can't really explain this other than my brain just disregarded it.

However, I had a stressful period a few years ago and as I was going to sleep I just heard the whine in my ears and had a more anxious reaction to it - now it's hard to unhear it like I had before. Anyway, I believe that it's how we react to the tinnitus that matters. I go long periods of time without really thinking about it and then I have periods where it gets to me.

I hope to keep up with the research forum here, it seems like a decent place to get updates on relevant things.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Nice first post! Welcome and cheers

3. unicorn penguin
      Buzzed

unicorn penguin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello!
      It's a very awesome forum here... sharing stories and reading them makes me feel less lonely and gives me hope and strenght to deal with this...
      Good luck mate!