Help: Eustachian Tube Dysfunction MYSTERY

Discussion in 'Support' started by Patrick Heron, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Patrick Heron

Patrick Heron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Hey, I have had Eustachian Dysfunction for 5+ mts. Mystery: through the (plz pardon my butcher job here) tube up the nose test, no fluid and/or infection is found. Only Antibiotics keep symptoms gone. HOWEVER, the moment i forget to take the antibiotics, everything starts up. The ENT doesnt know why antibiotics work if he didnt find an infection. I am making an appt with some top docs @ U. of Pa., although it may take weeks to be seen.

Also, has anyone heard of chronic tiredness as a symptom? i get so tired that i cannot drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Your message seems to have ended abruptly.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patrick Heron

Patrick Heron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      yes, i hit the wrong button, thank you...

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Welcome to the forums Patrick.

Do you have tinnitus too? Or only ETD?

Chronic tiredness is not necessarily related to tinnitus nor to the ETD. I haven't heard of that kind of connection before.
      Of course tinnitus may make you tired among other things as a by-product.

But you should investigate the tiredness too, it could be something else. So many things can cause that. It could be a thyroid acting up, other hormonal unbalances, depression, and all that.

It's interesting the antibiotics keep the symptoms gone. Certainly I don't have the same level of knowledge than your ENT - who didn't either know what could be the reason. Hopefully the next set of doctors can find a reason for this peculiar connection.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patrick Heron

Patrick Heron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Hey, Markku, thanku for replying. I have a feeling you MAY be smarter than the 5 docs ive seen. The 1st doc said it was ETD, otyerwise, I dont know. Symptoms: Right ear only,
      blocked up head around right ear,
      distorted/low toned sounds & voices, echoing,
      very sensitive to voices above whisper,
      trouble focusing & irritability.
      rarely & unsure if related: lightheadedness, unbalanced & twice dizziness. Lol, I dont get the antibiotics thing either, but I may be the first antibiotics junkie because the symptoms stop my busy day dead in its tracks.

Today, i will make an appointment with a very reputable Otolarynxologist & hopefully get more answers.

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I recently had fluid in my ears with no infection and they mentioned that it could be the eustachian tube being inflamed or infected. Not something they can see. Maybe that's part of it.
      Hope you find the help you need.

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Is it possible you have hyperacusis or misphonia? Could the antibiotic have worked at first due to placebo effect?

Also stress and anxiety can cause or seemingly cause ETD. Many people complain or think they may have ETD or even TMJ when they first get tinnitus. The extreme stress and anxiety which tinnitus causes, causes physical issues such as tightening of the neck or other muscles. This in turn can lead to issues which seem like TMJ and ETD. I am not saying there are not people who don't have ETD or TMJ with T, but I think a majority of the time they do not even if they think they do at first.

When I first got tinnitus, I was under extreme duress. I thought I had TMJ and ETD. My ears always seem plugged one or both, my jaw hurt and ached constantly every day. I also had daily migraines. My body was extremely tight and tense. I went to many doctors and dentists who confirmed I had neither TMJ nor ETD. This lasted for several months. Then as I was able to cope better with my tinnitus thru stress management, diet and just overall improvements, things started to get better for me. It was slow but I had little changes every week. My jaw no longer ached as much, then eventually not at all. Then my plugged ears cleared up, the clicking went away. My daily migraines also vanished after 5 straight months, along with my stiff neck and shoulders.

Tinnitus causes different reactions to us. Stress of tinnitus especially in the beginning can be overwhelming. The body channels this stress and manifests itself with these types of physical systems. I am not a doctor. This is just my opinion, my own experiences and on observations of tinnitus sufferers on different forums over the past couple of years.