Hi All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by agaton spik, Sep 29, 2013.

1. agaton spik

agaton spik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi everyone,

Guy from Sweden here. Got tinnitus August this year. Not sure where it came from but I think several things may have played into it. A loud concert, stress from work and possibly unhealthy diet (do workout though).

Like many else in the beginning, I'm really depressed right now. :-(
      I've been a lurker here for a while and I rarely engage in forum activities but I felt like writing something today.

My tinnitus is, I think, around the 5 or 6 khz frequency. Not a clear tone but more whistling and shhhh like. The problem is that it's impossible to mask. Listening to music actually makes it even worse because it seems to always compete with the other sound and then getting even louder.

Interestingly enough, I've noticed that my tinnitus decreases to almost nothing after having a few drinks/beers.
      At first I thought it's simply because you typically don't give two shits about it when you're drunk, but there seems to be something more to it. Reading and learning more about the inner workings of the GABA and Glutamate receptors it seems to make sence in my case. I'd say I'm OCPD minded and a control freak (software developer and all heh). If something new/unknown/unwelcome comes up I easily get anxious. I'm guessing that's why I have so hard time to let go of my tinnitus.

Anway, thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Welcome aboard. If you have been lurking you have read many of the theories and helpful hints.
      Hmm, might try the drinking thing.

3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your T. Hope you feel better soon.

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hey agaton and welcome!

It's unfortunate your tinnitus is of the type that seems to compete with other sounds. I know there are several people here who have this problem. We even had a thread about it, I need to see if I can find it.

Yours is so recent though that it could still go either way. I vividly remember mine felt better after a few months.

Have you seen a doctor? Had an audiogram to test your hearing? Any measurable hearing loss?

It's peculiar why some people's tinnitus is worsened by consumption of alcohol, others not one way or another and then some say it improves their tinnitus. I guess you are lucky in that regard, although it's not a suggested daily treatment protocol :)

But yeah, as Leah said, I hope you've benefited from the existing information here; there's plenty. See you around and keep us posted on any changes.

-M

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      agaton spik

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks for the feedback everyone,
      Yeah, I did an audio test a few weeks ago. They added a question mark to the higher frequency range (4-6 kHz). I'm guessing it's because I was sorta trigger-happy during the test, i.e. "hearing" tones I probably didn't really hear.
      I later did some tests of my own through some Android apps and I think in the end that I've probably lost hearing of some frequencies in that range. Not so much that I would need a hearing-aid though.

The forum has been a great resource. I've read many threads and followed the progress of several forum members, especially Louise (hang in there and hope you're feeling better!).

About the alcohol. Yeah, probably not a good idea to get wasted too much. I'll try to keep it on a moderate level even if it's somehow more tempting now to down a few more beers. :)

I'm going to see a doctor in a few days. I'm considering giving SSRI (Citalopram or Sertraline?) a try just to see if it can help me calm down a couple of nothes.

I'll definately let you know if there are any changes to my cause. I get the feeling that many who gets better don't bother to post their sucess stories. I for one would LOVE to read more about people who've gotten rid of or habituated their tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      agaton spik

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Got some Citalopram a.k.a Cipramil/Celexa through my doctor today. Will start taking it on Sunday. Whatever happens next I'll follow the wisdom of Jack Burton:
      :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Darren Knight
      Ape-like

Darren Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2013
      Damn straight!!!

8. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      If alcohol helped me, I would not hesitate to use it myself. As long as my Dr. gave me the OK with the other meds are taking for other health issues.

I am in no way, shape, or form suggesting this to any one. This is my personal outlook.

Let us know how the Citalopram a.k.a Cipramil/Celexa work..

Good Luck & Welcome Aboard....

9. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      My success story is coming. Even if my tinnitus leaves or stays! I'm not going to leave this forum with only misery. I will end it with victory. Just give me some time!

I'm from Norway by the way, nice to have more Scandinavians here.

Funny that alcohol is helping you. I have not touched alcohol since I had my setback. My father have been a DJ in many years and raped his ears. He never got tinnitus, and drinks a lot. Maybe that is the solution! xD

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Honestly I've been drinking beer at night since the onset...It most definitely helps me, don't even notice T unless I'm thinking about it, its got me thinking lately that I may have had tinnitus for years and I just recently started focusing on it and looking for it, which lets it be there. I used to tell myself "silence is deafening" and I remember hearing something like tinnitus sounds back in the day...but I would never be looking for the sound which I find myself doing awake or when going to sleep now since I learned many things about this tinnitus and its sounds. Seems as though my auditory system is on high alert and I am noticing EVERYTHING whether it be INSIDE (ear clicking/cracking) or OUTSIDE (everyday environmental sounds).

11. rena
      Chatty

rena Member

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2012
      hi i use red wine but i do live in france lol i have now been told i suffer from TMJ clicking jaw and hope it is the cause of my T i also have headaches and other stuff related to it going to have a mouth piece made
      (my hub hopes it will stop me talkin!!) as i think i am clencing my jaw and have been since the onset of things (burn out/stress) but i think TMJ is worth considering will keep posting my progress

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      agaton spik

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Time for an update.

I've been on Citalopram for almost three weeks now and I raised the dose to 20mg a couple of days ago.
      Not sure if it things have helped, but at least I'm starting to feel a bit like Peter Gibbons in Office Space now. :)

The tinnitus is still there, maybe at a slightly lower volume, but it doesn't always bother me that much
      like it used to. I can't really tell if it's because of the Citalopram or neuroplasticity. It's almost as if
      my brain is now trying to tell me that my tinnitus has always been there and that it's a normal thing. Still,
      there are some good days and less good days. Mostly good days though.

I've stopped caring too much about what I eat and drink because I felt that it was mostly Nocebo. Caffeine, salty and spicy food is still high up on my menu. :)

Let's see where my tinnitus odyssey will take me next...

13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      What a nice update @agaton spik.

You seemed like a very rational guy to begin with. You were depressed, you acknowledged that many are in the beginning stages, you researched and read the previous discussions, took the appropriate steps (in this case, including an SSRI).

You are the perfect example of a common tinnitus case. The first couple of months can be tough, then it tends to get significantly better - habituation or whatever anyone wants to call it kicking in.

This. 100% agreed.

I'm grateful you took the time to come back and give us an update since many people don't. It's understandable; life goes on once the noise is no longer constantly bugging, so it's easy to forget to come back and tell the good news.

All the best for your future, and I hope T continues to become less and less of an issue.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      agaton spik

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi all, time for an update! :)

It's been several months since my last visit here. Gotten more used to my tinnitus now. Still munching Citalopram, 20mg each day. It works well and I will go with the 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' route for a little while longer.

Believe it or not but there are some days where my tinnitus is completely gone! Really nice, but it's rare. Still, the tinnitus itself doesn't really bother me that much all the time anymore. The occasional problem however is that my tinnitus is sometimes (perhaps unwarrantedly) getting the blame for everything that may have put me into a not-so-good mode. Like:

* Not enough sleep. Tinnitus fault!
      * Hangover. Tinnitus fault!
      * Stress at work, Tinnitus fault!
      * Bored. Tinnitus fault!

Still though, given the fact that I've experienced days without tinnitus and that when I do have it, I can cope with it and even ignore it when I have more important things to do, makes life much easier now. I've read so many mails now with people contracting tinnitus and getting depressed. My advice is:

1) Don't panic!
      2) You're not alone.
      3) Try to hold out for a while, you're brain and body will try to their best to adjust to the changes, but it may take some time.
      4) Try to occupy yourself with something else. Your mind can usually only focus at one thing at a time. If you're doing
      something interesting. You will forget that you have tinnitus.

Thanks for reading! :)

15. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thank you for the advise, I should have gone out today, because it is a beautiful day in Toronto Canada, but I opt to stay home and feel sorry for myself, I will head your advise, there is worst things in this world. thanks Hang in there..we are here for each other!.keep in touch!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      agaton spik

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      It's August now and it's been more than a year later since I contracted tinnitus so I thought I'd make an update.
      My tinnitus has gone lower over the months and I don't mind it at all these days. Some days it's even almost gone, and other days it's there but I fail/forget to notice it.

One of my friend asked her husband for some advice when I talked to her a many months ago. He has had tinnitus for many years and when she asked how long it would take to get used to tinnitus. He told her, "two years".

For me it has been one year now and I think that's how long it took for me to completely forget about it and ignore it.

With that said, I love this forum and I hope that people who has recently got tinnitus will find comfort reading what other has people experienced, and realize that it is fully possible to habitate it if you just try to have some patience and cool down! It's difficult, but anyone can make it through. Just look at my first post!! :)

I also want to stick to my promise and don't leave just because I'm "cured", because I think people need to hear more about these success stories!!

• Like Like x 2
    17. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Agaton,

Thank you for returning to Tinnitus Talk! It will really give others hope to know that you have experienced lowered tinnitus and the stress related to it. You will be a great help to many people, I'm sure. We're glad you've returned!

18. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @agaton spik Good to hear after a year your T is under control. That 2 year estimate was conservative. Glad you made it in one year. Keep the faith for others and stay on this forum for encouragement.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      agaton spik

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks Karen and Ken,

Don't worry, I'll be around and try to help and encourage people whenever I can!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @agaton spik....I love reading these stories as well as other "newbies". Thank you so much for posting and please keep us posted on your continued success!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      agaton spik

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks Teri, don't worry, I'm gonna be around here and try my best to encourage people that things is gonna be alright!