Hi all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Denny, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      My name is Dennis I have been lurking the forum for months before joining today.
      My tinnitus started on January 15 2013. I am a pharmacist by profession. I am not
      Sure the exact reason medications,noise exposure, stress? I have learned a lot from
      This forum much more than anything from medical providers. God bless everyone
      In this forum. The suffering from tinnitus is unseen and unexplainable and people
      have little to no understanding of this condition. In the beginning it was a terrible struggle
      things have improved after many ups and downs but sleep is still an issue which bothers
      Me the most. Many thanks to markuu and all the people active in the forum. I am a moderator
      In another military forum so I appreciate this effort and understand what it takes to run
      The forum. God bless you all and may we all find our inner peace.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Denny, and welcome to Tinnitus Talk! We're glad to have you on board, and I am also glad to hear you are a pharmacist as you will have an understanding of the drugs/supplements people often ask about.

Are you taking anything specifically for sleep at this time?

Thanks for joining us, and we look forward to hearing more thoughts/comments from you soon!!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I was taking amitriptylline for sleeping but I stopped a month ago I felt it was making my tinnitus
      Worst causing loud spikes at night. Many people are helped by amitriptylline, I was too in the
      Beginning. After stopping many things that may have been worsening the condition this was the
      One of the last on the list. I keep hydroxyzine around just in case I need to knock myself out
      But I am trying my best to avoid taking anything. I was also taking lisinopril like you at one time
      So this could also be on the list of possible causes?

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Denny,

Yes, in my opinion, Lisinopril could be one of the causes. It was right after I began taking it that I experienced all my problems. I've since read several online patient forums, where people experienced loud ringing in the ears after taking Lisinopril. And it isn't mentioned by most doctors as a side effect of this drug. Mostly, they mention the cough that a lot of people get from Lisinopril. I never got the cough, but I really wish I had never taken this drug!

I wish you well, and hope that your symptoms subside. It's taken a long time for mine to improve, but it has improved somewhat.

For sleep, you might want to try a natural supplement, like melatonin or a melatonin/valerian combination. They are more subtle, but they really do work.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Doctors say that lisinopril like all ace inhibitors work in the kidneys but there are many
      Side effects like alterations in smell and taste or a metallic taste that has never been explained.
      Most of these are more common with the first ace inhibitors like lisinopril and largely ignored.
      Some studies claim it is from zinc level alterations? If zinc is altered maybe other elements
      Like potassium,magnesium etc are also altered that maybe important to auditory functions?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is very interesting, and it really makes sense. In these past 3 1/2 years since I've gotten off the Lisinopril, I have been taking a magnesium supplement and an occasional zinc supplement, plus I eat a lot of foods that contain potassium. I wonder if that has helped with my recovery and tinnitus improvement? Also, when this all first began, I went to an internist doctor in desperation. He tested me, and found that I was very low in sodium -- and my previous doctor had told me to take Lisinopril and follow a low- sodium diet! I think all that had something to do with it.

Have you noticed any other problems since you've been on the Lisinopril?

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I have been of lisinopril for almost a year. I took it for almost ten years, the only
      Other side effect I can remember was a dry hacking cough once in awhile more
      During winter months. Same enzyme that is blocked in kidneys to reduce blood
      Pressure is also in the lungs where it is also blocked causing the cough. Doctor
      Never felt the cough was bad enough to change or stop lisinopril.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's good that you're off most of your drugs now, and maybe that will result in your tinnitus getting calmer. I hope so!!

What does your tinnitus sound like? Is it ringing, buzzing, hissing, or a combination? On a scale of 1 - 10, what is it like most of the time?

Mine is a high-pitched constant hissing. Also, I have pulsatile tinnitus, but that has improved in the last several months. I still hear a heartbeat sound, but it is not very noticeable during the day; mostly when I'm trying to sleep.

Also, are you able to control your blood pressure now without the Lisinopril?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      My tinnitus started out as a loud hiss in one ear and it changed to cicada sounds and
      a sound similar to the old tube tv's in both ears. It varies a lot from continuous from
      morning to night to intermittent some weeks. It's hard to put a number but at times
      i use the masking feature on the forum and have to turn the volume pretty high and still
      hear it, i usually choose the purple noise. I was listening to it yesterday when my wife
      commented my God you have to have it so loud to mask?? I told her this is how loud it
      can get where it drowns out everything TV's ,conversations etc... ENT said I had high
      frequency hearing loss but it was mild? At times i get scaird that it is getting louder
      because i am losing more hearing and perceiving it louder?? Currently i am taking
      Losartan an ARB to control my blood pressure i tried diet and exercise but did not help.
      Another class of drugs just starting to be suspected in causing tinnitus is statins which i
      also took(lipitor).

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Denny,

It sounds like your tinnitus is at a pretty high level. Here's hoping it gets calmer soon. I know what you mean about the hearing loss; I also have some hearing loss in my right ear. I tried two different types of hearing aids, and they don't work very well for me, because it seemed to make my pulsating worse. But, you could consider trying a hearing aid/masker if nothing else works.

Yes, I have heard of Losartan, and hopefully it isn't ototoxic. I've been having good luck without any prescription drugs; I am exercising, watching my sodium intake, and taking supplements, including one called CardiTone (I ordered it online), which is helping to control my blood pressure. I'm 67, and feel very lucky that I'm able to control my BP without prescription drugs.

I've heard that statin drugs can be a cause of tinnitus, so it's good that you've been able to get off the Lipitor. Good for you for getting off most of the medications!!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I had a hard enough time accepting the tinnitus i don't want to try hearing aid maskers yet
      i am 46 and still feel it is fairly young for hearing aids? I don't take lipitor but i think a good
      natural alternative is omega 3 fish oil Carlson's or Dr Murray's which are pharmaceutical grade.
      I spoke to a friend of mine who is a neurologist and he looks at Tinnitus differently he views it
      as a problem arising in the brain stem. Pulsatile tinnitus has more vagus nerve involvement.
      On a positive note I had a cousin who said she had severe pulsatile tinnitus for almost 15 years and now
      she claims she is completely free of it unless she is sick or exhausted and even then it is
      only temporary.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I certainly do understand about the hearing aids. They take some getting used to, and if you just have mild hearing loss, no need to add something else that might be bothersome!

I agree about the fish oil; I take fish oil regularly, and it does seem to help.

That is very encouraging about the pulsatile tinnitus! I keep hoping that's what will happen to me, too. The pulsatile tinnitus started with the blood pressure meds, and maybe now that I'm off them, the PT will subside.

I hope you have a peaceful evening,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    13. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Welcome to the forum Denny,

BTW, I take Lisinopril as prescribed by my doctor. I've had a dry cough for three months now! I thought it was something else I did. Jezzz, cold weather. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @James,

How long have you been taking Lisinopril? Did your pulsatile tinnitus start after you began taking it, by any chance?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Sometimes the cough can last a few weeks after stopping lisinopril.

16. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @Karen, in reply.

I have to put a time line on it and recall back to March 2013, when all this started. It could very well be medications that triggered it. I don't have the answers. Makes me wonder. Thanks for the interest and yes I still have the pulsatile tinnitus, back to work today, and it seems to be loud.

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @James,

Thanks for responding. I still believe that it was a medication that started my pulsatile tinnitus, and I was wondering if the same thing had happened to you.

Sorry you're having a bad PT day today.

I want you to know that mine has improved a lot recently, so there is hope for you down the road! I've had my pulsatile tinnitus for 3 1/2 years now, and things are definitely getting better!

Take care,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1