Hi, my name is Ken!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Stingray, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Stingray

Stingray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      I see I'm in lots of good company here! Too bad we all have to suffer the same problem. I'm 58 and have been having T since I was 30 something. It comes and goes. I'm wondering if anyone has heard about some kind of noise cancellation methods of controlling this problem? It would be really interesting to see that. Anyways, I live in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, in the United States, and my avatar is my white Golden Retriever, Buddy. He's my best friend, but I'm always wanting to meet new friends! :)

2. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Welcome Stringray,
      There a great deal of noise cancellation methods out there for tinnitus. These are either designed to mask the sound of tinnitus or condition the brain to ignore the sound of T.

The only one that I can speak for is the "white noise" or the sound of bacon frying as I call it types. The ones I have are similar to hearing aids.

I use this type on the bad days and even sleep with them in. They do help as the white noise covers the T. and for some reason the white noise is not as disturbing as the high pitched T.

There is a wealth of information here. If there is a device or pill that might help T., someone here has tried it.

3. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi Ken!

4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Ken, I have a hearing aid masker combo. It has 4 modes, the volume can be controlled in any setting . Mine is set up like this. Setting 1. My hearing aid is on with pink noise. 2. only pink noise. 3. only white noise. 4. Hearing aid only. Mine is a Moxi Kiss model E. It was $900. I got it through my ENT. His audiologist programed it using my audiogram hearing test results as a guide, she took the range where my hearing loss was and used that to program it.

Go to an ENT and determine if you have any hearing loss, if you do not then a masker like Relic Hunter has would be of help.

I really like mine.

5. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hey Buddy! ;)

6. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi stingray !

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stingray

Stingray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      Hi all! Very nice to meet you, so to speak. I'm looking forward to networking with you. My experience with forums has been very good... the knowledge you gain from other peoples' experiences is invaluable... and the friends to be made... also very good. Pay it forward. :)

8. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      i also have a masking aid and i love it.. it plays white noise has a remote and i can change the sound of the nosie to match my T and turn it up or down, i can sleep with it , run with it but not shower with it lol.. but yes i love it.....

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stingray

Stingray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985

Yes, recently, I went to an audiologist; she said I had no hearing loss... and that most people with T will always have music, or a TV going to mask it. For 30 years, I've been doing that, and it made sense why I do that now. I don't know if a mask would help, will have to research that.

10. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Ken, perhaps your T is getting wores and the turning up of the tv, radio etc. is not enough. A very simple way to see if a masker will work, is to take a radio that has FM on it and a earphone jack, tune it to where there is no station, you will hear white noise instead of a station, next get an ear phone and plug it into the radio and see if listening to the white noise helps. I used a portable AM/FM old transistor radio. Radio shack should still carry them, just get the cheapest one you can find. Don't worry about the AM capabilities, you will be using FM only for white noise.

This is what I used before I got the masker, the noise was about the same as my masker, just a little awkward carrying around a portable transistor radio when I would go out. I kept it in my shirt pocket....