High Blood Pressure and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ellen, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Ellen

Ellen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Many of us knows someone with hypertension.

Those on medication are told they have to take it for life.

Are there any high blood pressure medication that is not tinnitus-inducing?

How do those with tinnitus caused by HBP meds wean off the medication?

If hypertension could be controlled in the first place, these folks would not have been on it. Yet time and again, I've come across cases where their blood pressure comes under control and they go on holistic maintenance after a spell with the meds they've been told to take for life.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Ellen,
      I've weaned myself off HBP meds and am controlling my BP through natural means. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. Are there any HBP meds that are not ototoxic?
      There may be a few; it's best to check with your doctor, and THEN do a thorough search online! I'm not sure the doctors always know how a patient will react to a particular medication. It's a good idea to search online for a list of ototoxic meds, and see if your drug is on the list. Also, you might wish to search various message boards on that particular drug to see if any patients have had an ototoxic reaction to it.

2. How do those with tinnitus wean off HBP medications?
      If your blood pressure is dangerously high, you should NOT wean yourself off any drugs without talking to your doctor!! Perhaps you and your doctor can come up with a drug that is right for you, and has no ototoxicity.

In my case, my blood pressure was not in the dangerously high range. I had to wean myself off it very gradually and slowly, and my doctor monitored me during the process. Even after I was off the drug, it took me (my case only) many months before my blood pressure and anxiety settled down again. Not everyone would have that response.

I now monitor my blood pressure every day, watch my diet, exercise regularly, and take various supplements. It takes a lot of upkeep to keep one's blood pressure under control, and I am working at it every day.