Homeopathy and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Asian, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Hello Dr. Nagler,

I am 7 months into this since my T started after a concussion. I mostly have lowest T days and it has clearly reduced in volume overall except for some setbacks here and there.

A friend of mine suggested me to try homeopathy. Although I am very skeptical about homeopathy as I am a non believer of homeopathic treatments specially in cases like tinnitus, I still want to give it a try as I have nothing to lose. Can I have your opinion on homeopathy and tinnitus ? Thanks for reading

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      There is simply no way that homeopathic preparations can possibly have a pharmacological effect on tinnitus. Indeed, by definition, homeopathic preparations are purer than distilled water. Honest. If you don't believe me, pull out your high school chemistry book and look up Avogadro's number.

Perhaps consider it this way. Distilled water has less than 1 part in 10^9 impurities - or one part per billion. Homeopaths frequently use solutions as dilute as 1 part in 10^100 - or one part per billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion. That dilution mathematically has been judged to be roughly analogous to placing a crushed grain of rice in a swimming pool of pure water the radius of which is the distance from the Sun to Pluto - then drinking a glass of the solution to get the effect of the rice.

So any effect of homeopathy on tinnitus is 100% placebo. It has to be.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1