"Homeostatic Plasticity Drives Tinnitus Perception in an Animal Model"

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mock turtle, Feb 18, 2012.

1. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Karen,

That's my interpretation of it, i.e., the niacin. But it's also possible the GABA is better absorbed than the PharmaGABA. I still like the PharmaGABA, and I take three pills daily. But it does nothing when my tinnitus is bad. In the beginning, I felt it did lower the volume. I still believe it does help. This Picamilon might be stronger, however, so I'm willing to give it a try. There's lots of information on this page and the links Markku provided on the supplement.

I love the "sunshine" mood changer! :D

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Jazz,
      That's what I thought, regarding the niacin. I'll be interested to hear how the Picamilon works for you. I hope you have good luck with it!

The PharmaGABA is a good supplement; it is calming, and maybe I wasn't taking enough of it (one or two tablets per day). I used it for several months (two bottles), and I'm afraid it did not have much effect on my tinnitus. I thought it helped a little bit at first, too. I'm not currently using it, but may try again later.

Thanks, regarding my "sunshine" mood changer! I'm enjoying using the "mood changer"; it's fun, and adds a nice touch to the forum.

3. JAKUB
      Approved

JAKUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/14
      Hey everyone, curious if you have any updates from the use of Picamilon??

4. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      I posted this article that explains niacin plays a role in helping to sweep glutamate excess on the brain, maybe that plus the extra gaba it's what explains the effect of Picamilon.

Still, from all my research about gaba, the main problem is the long term use of anything that increases it. There's always a downregulation of receptors, so the supplement would stop working and when you quit, you have the same kind of withdrawal as with benzos, so that means louder tinnitus.

The only thing that would prevent that from happening is a drug or supplement that would increase the number of receptors while at the same time adding more amount of gaba. The only supplement that is supposed to increase receptors is kava kava, but the studies about it are not conclusive and is still controversial.

Anyone knows more about this?