How Do People Know If They Have TMJ? Who Would Diagnose It and How?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Apr 20, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Just curious because I would like to know if I have TMJ. I know if I clench my jaw the tinnitus can change.

2. NineNails

NineNails Member

There you've it. Muscle movement can affect T. Or take a hammer and smash it on your head. ;)

3. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      I did the electrognathography, and the doctor found problems in my left jaw and my left muscles, and my T is on the left, only there.

Also, before the initial period of my T, I chewed a looooooots of gum, every day, for at least 8-10 hours per day, on my left side of the mouth.

So after seeing that my auditory system have no problems with hearing, dizziness or anything else, the diagnosis have been TMJD. At the moment I am wearing by night a neuromuscolar splint.

So you should visit a gnathologist specialized in TMJ, after that you have excluded any neurological problem inside you inner ear.

Keep in mind that moving jaw or head can cause changing in your T; it is called Somatic T, and it is very common.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Is the splint helping to reduce the tinnitus?

5. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      Tomorrow it will be 1 week, it's too early to have some results ;) i have to wait at least 6 months ( or less )

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1