How Do You Guys Keep Your Ears Clean? Hate Having Mine Syringed

Discussion in 'Support' started by HanaK, Feb 4, 2019.

1. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      So for some reason my ear produces a lot of wax and it always feels itchy which leads to me using q-tips. But I end up having a wax impaction problem and got ear syringing done twice in the past 2 months. I hate having it done though because it's loud and spikes my tinnitus/worsens my hearing temporarily (hopefully not permanently).

I even had a scare today of going completely deaf in my left ear... had the doctor check and my eardrum which was still intact, and water gushed out after luckily.

How do you guys avoid having impacted earwax?

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't have a huge problem with this but wondering if you've tried warm olive oil in the ear canal?

The itch could be excess wax but could also be an infection i.e. fungal. Can you have your doctor check your ears?

I'd avoid q-tips as this will push the wax in even further.

I would avoid syringing at all costs.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The ear canal is supposed to be self-cleaning, but some people seem to have issues with wax buildup. I'd stop using the q-tips as they can push wax further into the ear, which is obviously the opposite of what you're trying to achieve. As for the cleaning, any ENT should be able to perform a manual cleaning of the ears. It's completely silent, and doesn't carry the risks that syringing or micro-suction do. If your ENT won't do this... find another ENT.

*I forget to add that the temporary deafness you experienced was likely "fleeting T". Most of the folks (including myself) on here get it from time to time, and it's nothing to be concerned about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      @DebInAustralia Thank you! No, I haven't tried warm olive oil yet. Yeah today will be my last time syringing forever lol. This can't possibly be good for my ears getting it done so often! No more q-tips :(

@AZeurotuner Thank you! I never knew they could manually clean the ears. I will ask them next time if I get impacted wax again. I meant to say I went deaf after syringing oops haha. Some water came out after and I could hear again luckily. Although, there's still some water in there. :(

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Now that I think about it... Maybe syringing my ears back in April was the start of my tinnitus. Or debrox drops. :cautious: Never again.

6. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      did you try using a qtip after a hot shower when its its almost liquified?

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      That's what I usually do on most days, unless my ear is itchy randomly throughout the day and needs a q-tipping haha.