How Do You Learn to Concentrate and Sleep with Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jeffy L, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Jeffy L

Jeffy L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have pulsatile tinnitus, how do you ever learn to do things like watch TV, etc? And sleeping for me is awful, if I get 2 hours a night I'm doing good. I've had it now for over a month.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Jeffy,

I have pulsatile tinnitus, too. It is very difficult to concentrate on anything else, especially right at first, when you have PT. It took me months of frustration to finally get to where I could live with the pulsating.

What can help: Exercise, to keep your blood pressure on an even keel; for sleep, try waiting until you are very sleepy to go to bed, and experiment with background noise in your bedroom. For some people, an earplug in the affected ear works to control the PT enough for you to sleep. During the day, keep yourself busy with as many activities as possible. In time, you'll get more used to the pulsating, and will be able to handle it better. Also, some people have success with a hearing aid (I'm not one of them, I'm afraid!). It's worth a try to see if a hearing aid could help you.

Have you been to a doctor, to see if a cause can be identified, or to rule out any physical problems? It might be good to see your ENT first, and if he cannot help you, try a neurologist or neurotologist. I've had a number of tests, but never found a cause for my PT. However, there are many people who do find the cause, and can be helped.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1