How Do You Sleep with Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul A, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Paul A
      Tired

Paul A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug-15
      Dear All
      I have recently fallen to this horrible condition. I have PT in my right ear although it seems to be in the left now. I also have normal T in my left ear (both high pitch and a low pitch hum).
      Initially I only noticed the PT when I put my head down for the night but now I notice it in the day so it seems to be getting worse - some sort of nervous system disorder maybe. It starts with a pulsing and ends up in a whooshing. I don't think anyone who I have read about on the various chat boards gets used to this. But how do you sleep? What type of noise do you use to mask and what volume do you play it at?
      I have always been quite a light sleeper and find that if I make the masking noise too loud I simply cannot sleep - even with sleeping pills. But common sense would suggest that this is something I just have to get used to.
      I bought a pair of the Sleephones but find that they tend to move from my head all the time and I keep on having to re-adjust them. What with this and the other fidgeting I do in the night my wife has had enough and wants me to sleep in the spare room.
      At the moment I am at my wits end and feel like giving up. I feel like I'm close to a nervous breakdown and having bad thoughts but I will never go through with these as I have two gorgeous little daughters.
      I'd really appreciate all of your help and advice.
      Kind regards
      Paul

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R2DCPY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I personally use these. But I only have really loud T in my right ear. Left is quiet enough that it's not a big deal. I pop one of these into my right ear, and attach my cell phone to my headboard to keep it out of the way with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GM97VY6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Then I just put on some light rain or ocean waves sound and I'm out like a light in 10 mins. I had to use a lot of ambien and other sleep drugs for a while, but after about 3-4 months I was able to relax enough and just sleep with a little white noise. The upside of the earbud that I use is that it is small and clips behind your ear and stays in pretty well. The downside is that I can only really sleep on my back or on my left side. Rolling onto my right would put the earbud right into my ear against the pillow, and that would probably wake me up. I don't mind sleeping on my back, so this is no big deal for me. Hope this helps.

3. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hey @Paul A
      A wife and two daughters, you better make it right for them, the best you can I mean. The sleeping is the key to move forward. Run down to your doctor, and relay your story. My doc steered me to another doc who prescribed a low dose of anti-dep, low dose. If one don't help sleep, get another one. Anyway I take some which, not sure how I sleep but I do. The sleeping is kind of a bigger issue than the Tinnitus.

I listen to a small digital radio, PBS or a talk show at night which shuts off automatically. With good night’s sleep your energy level will be up - to live your life and the T will over time become less of an issue. Peace, your future will be good, don't worry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. xraychick01

xraychick01 Member

White noise machine. They're awesome!

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Paul A ,

I've had pulsatile tinnitus for over five years now, along with regular tinnitus, which I've had for about 30 years. When the PT first started, sleep for me was impossible. I tried everything, even trying hypnotism once (it didn't work!), but nothing worked, until I happened upon a natural supplement -- moringa oliefera. It is calming, plus high in antioxidants and other nutrients. It helped me finally settle down enough to get some sleep. Now, five years later, I no longer take it. I now take another supplement, magnesium chloride, about 1 hour before bedtime, and it helps me fall asleep naturally.

I no longer use background sound to get to sleep these days. Instead, I take my magnesium an hour before bedtime, then get out a book, and read until I feel drowsy. I'm able to sleep most every night these days. And -- in time, I have grown more accustomed to the noises in my head. My PT sounds like a combination of a whoosh and a drumbeat, and my tinnitus is a high-pitched, constant hissing sound. It does take time to adjust to these new noises, but I am now able to somewhat tune them out these days, and get on with my life.

I believe that you will be able to get back to a more normal life, too, in time. Right now, I agree with James that the best thing you can do is find a way to get some sleep, whether you use background sounds, prescription drugs, supplements, or a combination. Whatever it takes, you will be able to deal with the noises better once you are sleeping again.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Best wishes,
      Karen