How Does a Cold or Hot Shower Affect Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jan 15, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I heard that a cold shower and hot shower can release different types of neurotransmitters and hormones.

I have heard that some people have had reduction in tinnitus based on cold or hot showers but I wanted to hear other people's results.

2. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      A hot shower definitely reduces my tinnitus for a while but it doesn't last long unfortunately. I don't know about a cold one though.

3. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      My tinnitus also seems calmer after a hot shower but it doesn't last long.

I never take cold showers. :p

4. Markus
      Curious

Markus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2017/07
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/stress? Not sure but it surfaced after a flight.
      I think hot showers reduces my tinnitus. My shower is rather loud so it could be a side effect from that also.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I think it is residual inhibition from the masking provided by the shower. I can remember the days that the shower used to mask my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      Warm shower increases my tinnitus, but a cold one doesn't ameliorate it, although if I get into the swimming pool, my tinnitus gets a little better after a while. I already experienced this in my first onset. No doubt tinnitus is capricious and unpredictable.

Greetings.

7. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Hot shower does nothing for my tinnitus volume wise, but it does make me a bit more relaxed.

Cold shower?! I would NEVER take one, as I really hate being in cold water, it is painful to me.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay... I am reporting back now. :) I finally got to the point where I could take a normal "cold" shower. I'm kind of cheating a bit since it has been warm lately outside, so the water isn't as cold as it would be in the winter time.

I took two cold showers and I can tell you that there is definitely immediate hormonal changes going on. One of the first things I noticed was I was breathing a lot more air in. It was actually a nice feeling. I believe it is because the cold water activates the sympathetic nervous system which widens bronchial passages. I don't know if that is the exact reason but whatever the case is it's kind of cool feeling to me. Being the summertime, the water isn't as cold and so my body acclimated to the water fairly quickly (think of jumping in a pool... cold at first but then your body gets used to it.)

Upon immediately getting out of the shower I didn't notice much of a difference but later on my tinnitus doesn't seem as loud. I have only done this twice and I am also taking Lithium Orotate and in the past my tinnitus has gone up and down so I don't know if this is a coincidence or not.

If anyone has any other experiences, please share them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. David99

David99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      a long time
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think that cold showers might help. There is research that shows that cold showers and baths increases blood circulation and may help with anxiety, depression, oxygen levels, and blood pressure. I believe that my tinnitus is at least partially due to poor blood circulation in and around my ears. I’ve been ending my showers with cold water and do feel more energized. Not sure if it’s helping my tinnitus yet but am trying to stay longer and longer under cold water to see if it helps. Like many here, I was skeptical and am quite wimpy when it comes to cold water!