How Does a Cold Shower Affect Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jan 15, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I heard that a cold shower and hot shower can release different types of neurotransmitters and hormones. I have heard that some people have had reduction in tinnitus based on hot showers but I wanted to hear other people's results. Also, as a different twist, I was wondering about cold showers.

2. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      Interesting question.
      I have pulsilate tinnitus. I do not hear it in the shower, but my PT in my right ear is louder after a hot shower but settles down a lot I cool down. I would imagine some ENT must be able to see a cause of my PT through this experiment but has not yet... Perhaps we all need to be speaking to brain surgeons instead of ENTs.. :D

Have a nice evening

3. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      A hot shower definitely reduces my tinnitus for a while but doesn't last long unfortunately, don't know a bout a cold one though.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks guys...I may take a cold shower sometime in the future but right now, I am on some kind of experiment.

5. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several
      My T also seems calmer after a hot shower but it doesn't last long..

I never take cold showers. :p

6. Markus
      Curious

Markus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2017/07
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/stress? Not sure but it surfaced after a flight.
      I think hot showers reduces my T. My shower is rather loud so it could be side effect from that also.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes i think it is residual inhibition from the masking provided by the shower, i can remember the days that the shower used to mask my tinntus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      My T. goes mental during a shower, it spikes for atleast 40 minutes and goes back to baseline after that

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      That's very surprising Carlyi as my tinnitus has never been affected in this way. The shower usually quietens my tinnitus.
      Michael

10. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      It's strange, i've done some research on this forum and more people with TMJ complain that the shower makes their T. spike for a while.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Interesting to know but not so pleasant for you. I forgot that your tinnitus isn't noise induced.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Would those special ear plugs that swimmers use help?

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Help for what?

14. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I don't think so, i don't think it has anything to do with the noise in the shower as any other sounds or loud noises don't spike my T. It only ever spikes in the car and in the shower. I have a baby that screams, i use my hairdryer, i vacuum and my T. remains the same in all those situations. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the vibrations in the car and in the shower.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Help prevent the spike in tinnitus after her shower.

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Many years ago when I had hyperacusis my tinnitus would spike after a shower. The hyperacusis has been cured for 18 years using TRT & wearing white noise generators and I haven't experienced a spike since. Swimmers earplugs may help prevent a spike but this is treating a symptom of a condition which is curable. One can try self help using sound therapy as mentioned in my post: Hyperacusis, as I see it. In more severe cases of sensitivity to sound, a referral to a Hearing Therapsist might be the best option for treatment to desensitise the auditory system using sound therapy. This usually involves the wearing of white noise generators.

Michael

17. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb/2004(Serious aggravation)April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics. Anaesthetic.
      Warm shower increases my tinnitus, but a cold one doesn't ameliorate it, although if I get into the swimming pool my tinnitus gets a little better after a while. I already experienced this in my first onset. No doubt tinnitus is capricious and unpredictable.
      Greetings

18. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Hot shower does nothing for my T volume wise, but it does make me a bit more relaxed.

Cold shower?! I would NEVER take one, as I really hate being in cold water, it is painful to me.

19. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Why don't you test it out and report back? : )

Like Sandra I do not like cold water showers at all!!!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I know it would probably do an adrenaline rush... I guess I could try if I remember. ;)

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay...I am reporting back now. :) I finally got to the point where I could take a normal "cold" shower. I'm kind of cheating a bit since it has been warm lately outside the water isn't as cold as it would be in the winter time. I took two cold showers and I can tell you that there is definitely immediate hormonal changes going on. One of the first things I noticed was I was breathing a lot more air in. It was actually a nice feeling. I believe it is because the cold water activates the sympathetic nervous system which widens bronchial passages. I don't know if that is the exact reason but whatever the case is it's kind of cool feeling to me. Being the summertime the water isn't as cold and so my body acclimated to the water fairly quickly. (Think of jumping in a pool...cold at first but then your body gets used to it.)

Upon immediately getting out of the shower I didn't notice much of a difference but later on it doesn't seem as loud. I have only done this twice and I am also taking Lithium Orotate and in the past my tinnitus has gone up and down so I don't know if this is a coincidence or not.

If anyone has any other experiences, please share them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. Hex
      Thinking

Hex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Hydrops
      @JasonP Hey Jason, I'm starting to take old showers but it's quite difficult! I can only get the water to hit the front part of my body. I can't get it to hit my scalp or back yet lol

It's because it takes me a while for the water to reach to my neck area. I start from my feet up and that takes around 10 minutes xD

I'm trying to get used to it. It's hard!

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I totally understand! :)

24. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts and Acoustic shock.
      The situation I'm in now is that even pink noise via my iPhone or sound therapy via my Oasis machine now makes my tinnitus react. This is after another loud noise exposure a few months ago which sent my tinnitus very high pitched and painful in my left ear. Yet bizarrely a hot shower does mask it and take the volume level down for a few minutes afterwards. Someone made the wry suggestion that I should live inside the shower...

25. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I shower twice a day but i hate it, cold hot whatever... I always wear those ridiculous swimmers plugs when i wash my hair and they just look so stupid. It also reminds me every time that i have t.

26. Hex
      Thinking

Hex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Hydrops
      How long have you been trying it (The cold showers)? If I may ask

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Not too long....I just tried it a few times and then started wanting hot showers again. :)

28. David99

David99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      a long time
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think that cold showers might help. There is research that shows that cold showers and baths increases blood circulation and may help with anxiety, depression, oxygen levels, and blood pressure. I believe that my tinnitus is at least partially due to poor blood circulation in and around my ears. I’ve been ending my showers with cold water and do feel more energized. Not sure if it’s helping my T yet but am trying to stay longer and longer under cold water to see if it helps. Like many here, I was skeptical and am quite wimpy when it comes to cold water!