How Does Ear Recruitment Work?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ilija, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      How does ear recruitment work exactly.
      I thought about it and I got scared that my upgraded sound sensitivity is maybe ear recruitment.
      Basically 2 things happened on the day it got worse 1.) Smoked weed for the first time 2.) Friends came over and one of them shouted 2-3 times loudly for a second
      My guess was the weed got my anxiety up or the THC has given me more sensitive hearing since I've read it does that sometimes.
      My second guess which I hope to God isn't is that the loud outbursts managed to damage some cells and get me ear recruitment.
      Now as with my general sound sensitivity which has gotten better since the beginning if I move around it changes.
      In one position it's the same in another its louder, it's most loud when I'm actually close to my door away from the PC and its nearly not even there if I bend over my table and the PC is down on the floor to the left, I got worried that my ear recruitment kicks in when I'm away because then it changes the sound and that sound is the one that hits the recruited hairs.

What do you think, does ear recruitment work that way or was it the weed?
      I'm not panicking but if its ear recruitment it means it'll stay whereas if its just weed it'll probably go slowly as my general post acoustic trauma sensitivity is going albeit it's going rather slowly, maybe it's because of the loud class room.

2. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hey there! I can't say that I am any expert on ear recruitment, but I'm more inclined to believe that it had to do with the marijuana. I've read a lot since I got T about weed negatively affecting people with T. It doesn't happen to everyone, but I would avoid it.

Additionally, I find it hard to believe that two to three friends "shouting 2-3 times loudly for a second" would really increase your hearing loss/increase your sensitivity. If they were literally yelling directly into your ear, then it might do something. Otherwise, a few seconds of the human voice yelling isn't enough to cause cause acoustic trauma.

I would just eat well, drink some water, take a jog. Flush out your system, wait a few days to a week and see how you feel. My humble bet is that you'll be doing better soon : )

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Yeah this is my guess too, i smoked a lot of weed plus i weigh like 240lbs or 100kg if you will so it'll take longer since THC hides in the fat cells.

4. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      My understanding is that recruitment applies to people with significant hearing loss. People who have pretty much lost one range of hearing so another range tries to compensate. You'll hear nothing of one frequency but as the frequency changes you might hear perceive it as being loud.

It definitely won’t be that with you. Probably the weed though it’s never had that effect on me. The noisy friends could have given you a flare up. Either way I'd expect things to settle within a few days to weeks.