How Long After Noise Exposure Does Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Thongjy, Jun 10, 2015.

?

How long after noise exposure does tinnitus spike?

1. Immediately (or within 1 day)

2. After 1 day

3. After 2 days

4. After a week

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      After how long after noise exposure does T spike?

2. I've wondered this myself. ..sometimes I feel there is a lag in my exposure and H..Not sure about T though.

3. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      My latest T and H spikes took two days to onset after the 90 minutes of exposure to loud noise I had then. Previous spikes in H (not T) were sort of similar.

4. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      My t spikes immediately. The longer the exposure, the longer the spike.

5. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      If it doesn't spike immediately..how can you know what caused it?

6. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      How loud was that noise? 90db? 100db? 110db? You didnt have earplugs right?
      How long was your spike from this event? Could you describe how it spiked (new sounds or just louder T volume?) and while im at it - how your T sounds everyday?

@Thongjy
      My spike started to increase immediately after concert, in the morning (8hours later) it was still spiked, then it kept slowly increasing until night through day (but it could be just typical increase during day). Today its much better and it started to lower. Took nac and prednisone just in case, so no idea if I was supposed to get better naturally or not.

I also had some new beeps next day, so I'm pretty much done with loud events in closed space until they get some drug on market that can entirely supress acoustic damage.

I wonder if spikes for people include new sounds that subside with time? Or everyone just gets increased volume?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      I figure it was a bit over 85 decibels on average. I didn't use earplugs, because from past experience I didn't think it would be that loud. How wrong I was. I was in a leisure pool during half term, so there were lots of noisy kids shouting and screaming - and in spaces leading to the waterslides the noise was amplified further. I thought it was just perceived loudness, but afterwards my left ear felt funny - just like in a couple of past loud events I'd been to. It was resonating inside for about 45 minutes (my eardrum had something to do with it) and I felt deafened a bit in both sides. I was fine later, and the following day. Woke up the day after with my T ringing louder than normal. The worst of the ringing was gone the following day, but since then my left ear's reactive T (the main problem ear) has been more sensitive and noisier. The H had increased a bit too, but I've had that before and it has always subsided after a while. Not had one with a T spike before through, not at least since 2009 (which also subsided).

It could have just happened randomly, but it on the evidence I've got I think the 90 mins in that leisure pool is the most likely culprit, though I could be wrong. That incident in the pool was almost 2 weeks ago. The effects of that spike appears to be slowly ebbing away thank goodness, but I can't be sure. I'm not even that keen to talk about it much now, so that must be a step in the right direction.

• Informative Informative x 1