How Loud Are Circular Saws? Dangerous for Hearing / Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gerbit, May 16, 2020.

1. Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hey everyone! One more question:

I’ve recently been near some handheld electric circular saws, standing perhaps 15 feet away while helping make a garden fence. I’m using both earplugs (the foam ones with a 32 decibel rating) and earmuffs (with like a 30 decibel rating). Any concerns about it being too loud? It honestly sounded like 70-75 dB max to me from inside the earplugs and earmuffs, but I want to check just for some peace of mind.

2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Circular saws are certainly loud enough to warrant protection. However, from 15 ft away, with the double protection you describe most folks would be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's a risk (see the quotes below). In the future, you might want to be more careful. However, if you haven't began experiencing a spike within about 24 hours of exposure, chances are you will be ok.

Unfortunately
      https://www.buzzfeed.com/joycecohen/noise-kills-when-everyday-sound-becomes-torture
      More useful quotes from that Buzzfeed article
      Regarding a person who had committed suicide as a result of T and H:

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Well, I actually went and measured it! It (not cutting wood) was around 85 decibels, and when it cut wood the max was 96.5 decibels. So even with the worst case scenario for my hearing protection (which I used, earplugs and earmuffs), the highest noise exposure for me for like a second would be about 85 decibels, assuming that the double hearing protection only does 11.5 decibels of protection- likely it was much less, more like the 70 decibels I was describing. Quite a quiet saw!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      You exposed yourself to it a second time in order to measure it?

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me it would have been unbearable even with double protection, a setback for sure. But this depends on each person.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Decibel readings are not accurate unless you have a very good decibel meter, and those are expensive. If you are using a sound meter on your cellphone, that's not accurate.

8. David L

David L Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2000/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have done quite a bit of measuring on the tools that I use. Both with a dB meter and iPhone/Apple Watch. I would say that around 95 dB is reasonable for cross cutting fence boards.

Rip cuts gets louder for some reason, usually up to about 100 dB on my circular saws.