How Loud Is the Sound of Truck Air Brakes Releasing That Whooshing Noise When They Are Stationery?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rust, Oct 13, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Rust
      Gloomy

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You know, that loud whoosning sound they make when the air or hydraulic brakes release when trucks are waiting in traffic.

Today a truck made that sound near me, and it felt extremely loud!

I wonder if anyone else has had experienced this?

Thanks,

R

2. Julien87
      Balanced

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound (concert)
      I experienced this a few weeks ago. I was really startled when it happened but I think it's mainly because this sound surprised me. I don't think it's as loud as a honk and I don't think it can damage the ear.

3. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Hey there. (ex) Truck driver here.
      It's loud but not too loud.. 90dB or so, I'd say, at its peak. Just a guess though, never measured it.

The brakes aren't releasing, quite the opposite actually. Brake pods have very strong springs inside of them that keep the brakes on/locked. When air pressure is introduced, it forces the spring to compress and release the brakes. When the parking brake is pulled, it purges the air to atmosphere, and the springs force the brake shoes onto the drums. This is a safety feature; should the tractor lose all air in an air leak, perhaps, then the brakes automatically apply.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      I've had this happen when I was standing right next to a bus once; set off a terrible migraine and a roaring noise in my ear back in December, along with hearing loss. Not sure if a one time exposure is particular will cause permanent damage outside of exceptional cases like mine.

I would say though that you are definitely looking at a noise over 90 db, but most likely no greater than 110 db. You should definitely wear earplugs anywhere near loud trucks and/or buses. Those noises are dangerous, but most likely only over a somewhat longer time frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Rust
      Gloomy

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for your responses @Julien87 @Ecip @Coyotesheaven !

That's interesting to hear that you are an ex truck driver, Ecip! Thanks for the info on the brakes too :)

Luckily, it didn't cause any long term damage. Though I plug my ears whenever I want past a truck in case it does it now.

Thanks all,
      R

6. Mark McClelland

Mark McClelland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy and repeated extreme loud music
      Oh, that's loud. And high pitched. Gets me all the time. As I said to someone a few minutes ago, life is loud. But this really can be a bit of an issue, especially with the high pitch. A daily risk unfortunately unless we want to wear earplugs all the time.

7. MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      When my grandmother was young, there was only one car in the village, the post car. There were horses, cows, pigs. And one car.