How Low Is Your Low Frequency Tinnitus? Is It Like Mine? See This Web Page

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark London, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Mark London

Mark London Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident
      Hi - I have very low frequency tinnitus. I used this web page, to determine the frequency.

It's only 76 Hz (cycles per sec). I'm trying to determine if it's tinnitus or stapedial myoclonus. If the latter, I'm going to opt for surgery. But can tinnitus occur at such a low level?

It almost always occurs when I'm in a quiet or semi-quiet setting. And it always occurs when I lie down. There sometimes is a fluttering sensation before the buzzing starts up, which makes me think it might be myoclonus. But often, it just starts up, as soon as I enter a quiet area.

Flexeril and Klonopin has helped to a degree in the past, which make me additionally think it's myoclonus. But I want to try really be very sure that it's myoclonus, before undergoing the surgery. Thanks very much.

- Mark

• Like Like x 1
    2. Mortzcent
      Artistic

Mortzcent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I didn't even know you could have tinnitus in sub area.

3. Joel Waterman

Joel Waterman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones/speakers and/or water damage
      Dang, mind's higher than 15,000 hz. Before I made mine worse by flushing my ears with water (never do and never let a doctor/nurse do it either, BTW) I had a much lower tone though. No way I could measure it though now, 'cause the new one is so much louder I can barely hear the old one. I have read of other people having a low frequency tinnitus though, so I believe it does happen.

Best of wishes, and I hope you get this all figured out.

4. Davey998

Davey998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad diet (I think).
      I've had tinnitus of 8,000Hz for 9 months now. However, 2 weeks ago I developed low frequency tinnitus in my left ear. It feels like something is actually vibrating in my ear but I'm not sure. Could be stapedial myoclonus but it's hard to tell. At first I only noticed it at night where it would be intermittent (zzz,zzzzzzz,z,zzzzzz,zzz...) with no particular pattern. Now I notice it throughout the day. I believe it started with a cold I had. The cold has been gone for a while but the buzzing/humming/vibrating remains.
      I felt like I was just starting to come to terms with my high pitched T and now I get this low pitch as well. Very frustrating.

5. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I can't even hear that. When I use the page OP links to I stop hearing the sound somewhere after 14,700.