How Many "CURES" Have You Tried?

Discussion in 'Support' started by NeverLoseHope, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

thank you my friend, i'm lost in crying. think about this evening I could not even follow the soccer match Italy vs Croatia. 'm terribly scared because in a year and a half since I removed the implants worsening has not left me hopes. If before I was "lucky" with surgery for a debilitating disease of which we suffer and is called tinnitus, there was no cure, now what will become of me? I hope for a miracle and I pray for all of you with tears in his eyes and a pang. Never use hearing aids or maskers. is a business killer. If go worse ... you are "depressed" ... doctors corrupt!
      Hugs
      Ivan

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Kelli
      Question it

Kelli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      viral infection
      @sal__K I do agree about trying to not think about my tinnitus. There are some days I can deal....then other days i literally want to cut half my head off if it'd help. I'm a speech therapist, so my job 5 days a week is to "listen". I'm struggling. I have been in this profession 19 yrs and four years ago *poof* I lost my hearing in my right ear. Honestly i don't have much of options as far as other careers. I do agree to ignore and be happy with the good days. But lately other stresses are making my tinnitus worse and I'm near a breaking point. I will look into these therapies you mentioned.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      What a journey you've been on, Ivan. My heart goes out to you. I experienced barotrauma when my ears failed to depressurize while landing in Arizona ten years ago (or more). It caused me intense vertigo and dizziness, the likes of which I thought was never going to end. It took three years for me to stumble into the name of an ENT in Orlando who explored my ears and discovered a tiny tear in my left inner ear. Prior to his repair, I was beyond despondent and felt my life not worth living. After the repair, there was a total absence of vertigo and dizziness, nothing short of a miracle for me.

I wear hearing aids due to hearing loss caused by artillery while in the Navy and find them to be a great benefit. How sad that your experience was different. A friend of mine used to carry lidocaine wherever he went in order to give it to himself intravenously, about every six to eight hours. His T developed as a result of being an engineer on a railroad.

You are in my prayers.
      David

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeverLoseHope
      No Mood

NeverLoseHope Member Benefactor

OMG, I have never read anything like it, with you all the way @Viking Good luck for Feb 2015. Not long now hang on in there.

5. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Incredible stuff Ivan, could you explain a bit more about those 'sudden silence & hearing improvement days' because I too have had those. It's utterly stange to have a couple of days completely fine to the point that I think back to it now & ask myself "did that really happen or am I dreaming & making it up!?" My girlfriend can comfirm that it did indeed happen & i'm not popping in & out of some fantasy world (which I wouldn't mind so much, reality is vastly overrated ^_^) In regards to the inner ear fluids, again a really good suggestion as I recall one of my 'silent days' was during the time I was taking tablets for Menieres... I forget the name of the drug though :S I know that is due to inner ear balance probelms via the fluids. My longest time without T & HL was for 8 days... I honestly, by like the 6th day was starting think it was finally over! (sadface with an expression of longing*) During this time however I wasn't taking any medication other than my good friend Paracetamol. I've always been very sensitive to minor changes to the ears since I was a teen, as in my equilibrium becomes totally trashed if I get even the smallest amount of water in my ears, hence since getting T my entire sense of everything has been turned upside -_- Again, the idea of fluid changes within the ear(s) is an interesting point.
      All the best my man & keep strong o/ That goes to all of you \o/

6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Viking , don't forget to mention to Dr.Jeanmonod about how TRT made you much worse.

p.s. try not to get the qeeg on a quiet day because it will show your brain is quiet normal.:joyful:

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. sal__K

sal__K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      i don't want to be rude how can you can say something is shit if u have used it for a month or so ...u remove it because you find it irritating...
      people have used it trt for many months...i am not saying it works for everybody but it is the best bet..along with cbt...
      if the doctor says you have tinnitus and the noise won't go away
      what options do you have left then...
      medications won't cure nor will help u to live or adapt...
      for most tinnitus gets worst because they get stressed out to extremes....are always panicked ...think about tinnitus 24/7
      be social and go out with friends ...do things which you enjoy..........
      find a doc who deals patients with tinnitus using cbt or tbt and be patient ...#for most life will improve and habituation will happen ...for some it will be quick for some it will take time....give yourself 6 to 18 month...it is not a lot considering the noise won't go away

there are some who have tinnitus because of some other issues which can be solved ..
      visit more than one doctor to get multiple advises and solve the problem..
      some may need operation and for some medications may be beneficial ...
      but for those who have noise induced hearing loss
      habituation is the only option and taking extra care of your ears

8. Manuel Tissm
      Angry

Manuel Tissm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Why joke?
      Julian Cowan Hill was cured with Craniosacral Therapy

9. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Dear friend:
      i have think to fluid imbalance because when the T is at max level (I can not make out most of which ear is) i have feeling of instability,nausea and violent pulsatile migraine. sudden disappearances occurred while I used (in despair) of drugs for Meniere. Arlevertan (cinarizine + dimenhydrinate) or only Cinnarizine, but unfortunately, after 4 or 5 days and the effect faded tinnitus returned violent. So, as these two drugs that act centrally, in deleting vestibular hyperactivity, are convinced that the improper use of hearing aids has unbalanced something in my ear. This morning I met the first audiologist who admitted his mistake. Wednesday I will make a more detailed examination in the hope of being able to recover anything. Hoping to be useful
      BEst wishes

I talked by phone with Jeanmonod about this aspect absurd, but he thinks sec'è hyperactivity .... goes for the opposite. Hypoactivity. So it should come out because one of the first requirements is the loss auditory input on high frequencies. I have lost about 60-80db between 4000 and 8000Hz. The I know that there is no limit to bad luck.
      Best wishes

p.s. about TRT, Dr Jeanmonod is very critic about this approach! Also i know many person who have used maskers for 12/18 months... dramatically worsened. I don't know where Jasterboff has took his 85% success...

Ok... i agree... I do not mean stupid but I invite you to reflect on something fundamental: not all types of tinnitus are equal. TRT can work if you have a unilateral tinnitus and monotone without volume fluctuations. Stable. As you get used to the brain if you have a tinnitus is now right (60db - 6000Hz) .... tomorrow left (80db - 9000Hz). You should have an audiologist in your pocket every day to better adjust. is impossible. I used implants (white noise) for 5 months (end of October 2013 - April 2014). It was impossible to find a balance. Too often tinnitus exceeded the maximum volume of the prosthesis and how well we know the volume of the prosthesis should be kept to a minimum. TRT is not for everyone ... but for just 85% very, very lucky. Also I have always reacted to tinnitus. If I did not I would not be here talking. is not equal for all.
      With respect
      Ivan

10. sal__K

sal__K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      bro all i know is i need to calm my central nervous system down
      stress and anxiety and thinking about tinnitus 24/7 causes the spike...
      i have started cbt and will continue to monitor progress....
      in march trt will begin in my hospital nearby...
      for me and majority they key is habituation...
      my advice to many ppl on this forum is once u start to habituate or get habituated....DON'T VISIT FORUMS ANYMORE AND CONTINUE WITH YOUR NORMAL LIFE ....
      have patience

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeverLoseHope
      No Mood

Oh come on you have you ever tried it? He makes a fortune out of his "cure"

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Manuel Tissm
      Angry

Manuel Tissm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I believe in people

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeverLoseHope
      No Mood

So do I, but please answer my question have you ever tried it?

14. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

no offense: you talk exactly like an Italian doctor that I know very well ....
      he thinks that the "stress and anxiety and thinking about tinnitus 24/7 causes the spike ..." is not my case ...

"i have started cbt and will continue to monitor progress ...." i'm on cbt by 2008 ....my psychiatrist is really concerned about how it changed the clinical picture after the use of hearing aids

"Majority for me and they key is habituation ..." pretty much talk like doctors who are not science but using old techniques and unreliable ...

"My advice to many ppl on this forum is once u start to habituate or get habituated" This is a bad phrase. The awful sentence of bad doctors. "There is no cure for tinnitus, get used to live with it" ................ Many of us are already habituated, including me. I only had a small problem. While your tinnitus is quiet ... my throws me out of bed at night ... and then disappeared mysteriously. How can I get used to this? Thanks.

"DO NOT VISIT FORUMS ANYMORE AND CONTINUE WITH YOUR NORMAL LIFE ...."

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Two hypotheses:
      1) you are a teacher I know very well and has failed in Italy and in the world along with richard s ....
      2) You do not have tinnitus and try to do speculation.

The people on this forum, is the best I've ever met. Courageous, stubborn, scientific but especially loving. I'm not here all day, but thanks to them I do not feel alone and I know that at any moment someone will answer me to share our T day. This is not a forum any: here with the suffering becomes science. If you are resigned ... good for you. good luck

You've given up. You've already lost! a tip: if you really have tinnitus .... throw away the trt

15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
    16. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I have intracraenal pressure after a head injury and that is causing my T per my ENT doc.
      I'm getting a Lumbar Puncture next week. Hopefully that will get rid of my T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Nick J.
      Approved

Nick J. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    18. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Jarvik, try steroids and ginko, you at an early stage, steroids and ginko and different suplements is the answer, if i was at that stage i would try STEROIDS AND GINKO, please! Too late for me.....my best wishes to you!

19. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Yes. Since the first T episode in 2003 i ignored it. When it become pulsatile for me was hard but never used the dangerous white noise. After surgery with single or rare bilateral tinnitus i was habituated for 4 years. I had stopped talk about my tinnitus problem. They was present but i ignore. Now is critical! 120db 9000hz! Hell!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. sal__K

sal__K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      i have tinnitus but i don't want to be somebody 8 years down the line still having nightmares because of tinnitus....
      i want to take example of people who have been able to live normally with tinnitus...
      there are many people who have tinnitus but after sometime ther are able to carry on with there lives...
      i met a person in a cinema who said he has tinnitus for 8 years but it doesn't bother him anymore
      he said to to me you will get used to it but to some it happens in few months and to some it take a lil more time ppl like william shatner and jon carter have become used to it and are now living a better life..

let me why i am against visiting forums all the time

sometime back my blood pressure shot up out of nowhere ...i was having irregular heartbeat...
      it took me three days to mentally and physically recover....my doctor told me to change my lifestyle and quit smoking...i visited forums where people were saying they had palpitations for years and nothing is working for them...on youtube i would see videos of people saying it is so long and i have not recovered....i though what if i don't recover ....
      buddy i was normal in three days...my bp is on point and have good heart rate..#
      #it is all about thinking positive and get as much medical help..
      i went to a psychiatrist who agreed to help me..

my tinnitus is mild sometimes it spikes and become very irritating..
      i don't want to sit and wait what tinnitus does with me over the years...
      i don't want to be a hostage...
      if habituation can make my life easier i am all up for it ...if cbt ot trt can lead me there ...i am ready fot it....

sorry brother i don't know your particular case...what caused your tinnitus...it can be your case is different than mine...
      all i am saying majority people with tinnitus have learned to live on

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/39796/Jon_Carters_tinnitus_trauma

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      @NeverLoseHope I've been using some head phones around the house to help out, can you tell me more about the hearing aids and white noise generators. where is best place to get them and how much do they cost.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeverLoseHope
      No Mood

John I do hope you are not using in ear headphones? I lectured a teenager in my shop today, who came in wearing some, She did not no the dangers or what Tinnitus was so I played her a track of what it sounds like she left with them out. Hopefully I have saved someone ONLY USE http://www.airdrives.com/ my kids are banned from anything else.

With hearing aids I was lucky and have had many sets from the NHS they even do dual aids with built in maskers now as well. I have them but do not get on with them. But many high street shops do hearing tests specsavers come to mind. they did mine on a BOGOF deal. This was my first masker and saved me.http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ECCVAY/?tag=tinntalk-21 I now have one that matches my aid in looks. the BTA have a page about how they can help and they do HONEST http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/what-are-maskers---and-can-they-help-tinnitus Hope all this helps?

23. Law Oh

Law Oh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      300 mg by potassium supplementation cuts my "T" in about then half - be careful - not everything works for everyone - my "T" is related to arterial disease in my neck - and, I believe, the high blood pressures my body creates to get a proper blood supply to my brain. Remember, "T" is a symptom, and there may be a discoverable cause.

24. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      @NeverLoseHope Thanks a bunch for the great info I just looked on amazon and the ones they had were unavailable right now. I wonder if beltone would care them? I'm not familiar with NHS can you advise on that. thanks again for the great advice!

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeverLoseHope
      No Mood

Sorry John I missed your post. What was out of stock? and I will try and find some for you. Oh Sorry the NHS is our "state funded" National Health Service

26. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      @NeverLoseHope Thanks for reply I was referring to the mm1 generic in ear sound generator thru amazon. I just found out that my aunt has a similar set up as you described with a cranked up hearing aid in one ear and a generator in the other ear. Do you think that would work for me ?

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeverLoseHope
      No Mood

I would hope so John, I know it works for me. I am sure if you do an online search you will find one easy enough.

28. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      • Like Like x 1
    29. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Can you give more information about mri and surgery procedure ?
      What exam reveled these conflicts ? MRA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_angiography ?
      Where you done the surgery and witch surgeon made it ?

I agree 100% with you noise (hearing aids) can made it worse.
      Habituation is not solution.
      Tinnitus can suppressed but the question is what are the side effects...
      We are looking for solution with the lower side effects.
      For example a deaf with serious tinnitus a cochlear implant will resolve the tinnitus
      but the cost is the the permanent catastrophic procedure in the cochlea and a foreign part in the brain.
      Anesthetics also with resolve the symptoms temporary but with serious side effects in whole body
      and brain.

30. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Dear Friend;

There are 2 exams before surgery for tinnitus. WARNING: All of us can be born with a neurovascular conflict, this does not mean that it is responsible for tinnitus. Even today it is difficult to establish a cause / effect relationship in trigeminal neuralgia. In any case, I have proceeded thus: MRI (with gadolinium) evidence 1) neurovascular conflict of nuchleus cochlearis on the left side. 2) Neurovascular compression of the VIII nerve on the right side. Exam ABR (Auditory brainsteam response) demonstate an alteration of the waves IPL I and III further to the left. My tinnitus was more pulsating multitonal to the left and not always present at the opposite side (static). I made many attempts pharmacological before deciding for the surgery because there is no certainty that it will solve the problem with surgery. It must always be the last ditch effort. In my case had gone well. Tinnitus right side disappeared immediately after surgery. Tinnitus left key change after surgery. Not pulsating, but static and low. Liveable
      The same assessment should be made of the cochlear implant. I know that many patients with problems of important deafness have relief from tinnitus with a cochlear implant, but unfortunately it is also true that some patients develop or worsen their tinnitus with this procedure. is a very controversial topic. The criteria for receiving a cochlear implant should always be an important hearing loss can not be compensated with external hearing aids. In my experience of research and discussion with specialists and patients, those few patients who have benefited from surgery with cochlear implant had as their most important disease deafness. Tinnitus was secondary symptom and disappeared after cochlear implantation.
      My sensorineural hearing loss is not so serious as to consider the risks of another surgery.
      One thing is certain: hearing aids for hearing loss (which I had always been recommended by doctors stupid Italians) have aggravated my tinnitus that I had managed to almost defeat. Tinnitus maskers gave the final blow. Within six months I found myself in a situation suicidal. I'm fighting with old molecules mainly used for vestibular problems. I have a very reactive tinnitus, unpredictable and unmanageable. Frequencies outside the range of human capabilities. over 9000hz and 120db of power. Absurd. Fluctuate from right to left without reason.
      In any case: the documents in my possession, the cochlear implant is not indicated for tinnitus. Profound deafness and tinnitus can be treated with this procedure because the system electrically stimulates the auditory nerve to the central nervous system. Before you take this route, think about 1,000,000,000 times. After, you can not go back.
      I hope to get relief in some way. Only hard drugs seem to help. I am very sorry that the world there are so many possibilities to treat this condition noninvasively but few who do research in this regard. Before tinnitus kill me I will try all out with surgery and non-invasive HIFU if not good .... deep brain stimulation. has shown that the plant, surgically inserted in the basal ganglia, deflects the aberrant signal of tinnitus.
      Hoping against hope ...there is much more I could say about it but I am very tired. I do not sleep hardly ever despite massive doses of benzodiazepines. I hope to be clear
      Best wishes

• Good Question Good Question x 1